Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Strange humboldtii growth?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now you tell me... after I ditched the infested pot! Oh well, at least I didnt loose all of it

Cole
    Duele no tenerte cerca, duele no escuchar tu voz. Duele respirar tu ausencia, pero, duele más decirte adiós.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will have to defer to Tamlin with a whole lot more experience than I in this group. Have not seen U. humboldtii do that personally. Growing aquatically in my Brocchinia it makes funny fernish looking leaves underwater. Sure would have me fooled on the id from the photo!
    Tony

Edit: This plant has been passed around a number of times it seems. I would think if it has grown that much and been divided by a number of people that it would have shown the typical oar shaped leaves by now for someone? Have you looked at the traps or anything Tamlin? No offense or anything but just seems really suspect to me..

Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well to all keen eyed Utriculariaddicts I must say I would have made the same determination had I not known the impeccability of the source, which is me, hee hee. This plant hails from the ABG collection, for all interested owners.

For future reference, U. hispida also makes the grass like lollons. I'd have bet they were a sedge growing in the pot. Major bummer when I tore them out of the pot and found bladders atttached!
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for replying and clearing this up for me. Tamlin, what is the ABG collection? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]

-Homer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Atlanta Botanical Gardens
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is odd. I have grown humboldtii from a very young age and have never seen "juvenile" leaves that are anything other than small versions of the adult-shaped leaves.
    Rob Howe.

Homepage
    http://www.ukorchidforum.com
    CP growlist

Seeking: Drosera hilaris (seed)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This does not appear to be praelonga. I have compared the two very closely and there are far two many differences. I will put up pictures later. First, there is a fern like leaf on mine. It came from Tamlin with this leaf. It will not look good due to age, but you can get the idea. My praelonga never put out a leaf like that. Second, I have pictures of the long leaves in different stages. They start oar-shaped and elongate. Third, the praelonga spreads evenly throughout the pot, like livida, with the roots under the soil. This plant does not like its roots under the soil, but perfers to have the root mass a little above the soil. Also several leaves grow off of this root mass making it look like an individual plant. I use the word root loosely of course. The short leaves of the praelonga do lot look like the ones in my humboldtii (?). Worryingly (made up word) they look a little like longifolia, which was sitting next to it. I am careful about not letting my longifolia intrude on any thing else, but
    I am just like a Super Hero, but without the power or motivation.................and the funky suit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate to argue with Tamlin but I too think it is praelonga.

I am slightly confused about the origin of who has what though. Homer, who did you get the plant from? I am guessing it was Copper via Tamlin but like I said, I am unsure.

As for pics here is a link to a good shot of humboldtii:

http://home.arcor.de/j.danz/Ut_humboldtii_0703.jpg

And for comparison a not so great shot of praelonga

http://www.volny.cz/fytoreidl/fotky/Utric/praelonga.jpg
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast