Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Strange humboldtii growth?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

My recently acquired U. humboldtii is displaying some strange growth, or there is a "weed" of some sort involved here.

I've looked at pictures of humboldii online and haven't seen grasslike "leaves" on these plants.

-Homer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Homer, its Rain Frog here.

I have had a U. reniformis I got last fall that has woken up from dormancy and has produced something similar. I'm so glad I found this post, as I was about ready to ask the same thing!

My U. reniformis is displaying the same exact thing. That supports more strongly that it is a utric and not some weed. OTher than that, I have no idea why they are doing that. Knowing me, I'm more of a pitcher plant guy, and not the biggest expert on utrics or butterworts (though I wish!) [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_o_32.gif[/img]

The best thing I can do is ask somebody else on this board, as I'm wondering the same thing. At least when will they produce those stolons?

Rain Frog from Dendroboard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don´t want to scare you but those leaves look like U.praelonga to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking the same thing Sebastian. Looks like you have U. praelonga there rather than U. humboldtii. U.praelonga produces 2 different leafy stolon types.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a U.humboldtii that was infested with u.praelonga. Fortunatly only one trade of the bogus plant made it out. I had the exact same growth... looks like you are the proud owner of U.praelonga.

Cole
    Duele no tenerte cerca, duele no escuchar tu voz. Duele respirar tu ausencia, pero, duele más decirte adiós.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can anyone put up a picture of humboldti. I can not find a picture.
    I am just like a Super Hero, but without the power or motivation.................and the funky suit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is indeed U. humboldtii, I know since Copper says the plant came from me. U. humboldtii produces this type of leaf in its juvenille stage. I have never had U. reniformis do the same, however. As the plant becomes more established it will make its typical oar shaped leaves.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You learn something new every day! I'll have to find a plant and see for myself. It is very similar to U. praelonga though.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast