Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Genlisea troubles

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For 12 additional cents stamp you can mark "Hand Cancel". That seems a good deal.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my seeds didn't work [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img] but they were the pack that came fine. Thank you for the seed though.

matt

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ May 30 2004,9:00)]I have been having great success using very shallow trays vs deeper (4 inch) pots. The trays are undrained, and I flood them until the rosettes are submerged. Within 2 days the surface is moist only. The trays are only an inch deep, and I think this assists the growth, as the traps are forced back up to the surface and then become new rosettes. The mix is a bed of milled LFS with some peat and sand, and there are various carpet mosses mixed in with the sphagnum at the surface. It is mounded and sculpted vs being totally flat, making gullies and hills.

Since transplanting some of the feeble little rosettes I have been growing (pencil eraser sized) the rosettes have grown to half dollar sized in half a year and are flowering with vigor. I also wonder if there isn't some sort of mycorhizal exchange happening in the tray since everything seems to thrive and grow more rapidly here than anywhere else in my collection. I think this method may have merit, and hope others will experiment along these lines.

Some of my conditions: surface about 3 inches from the (2) 4 foot 40 watt flourescents (one Growlux one cool white). Water every 3 days to a week, pure water only. Daylength 14 hrs. Humidity 40% and above. Temps. ambient room, cooler in winter with at least a 5-10 degree nightime drop.

Hope this helps. I have just taken leaf cuttings for you Michelle, of a couple of species. If they prosper I'll replace your lost plants.
    I know I seem to be Tamlin's #2 fan (#1 is PAK) especially in regard to the pinned topics, but this looks like valuable cultivation material to me for one of the more gourmet CP's. Whaddya think, mods?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Droseradude, I HOPE you haven't given up on that seed. It takes about 3 months. Some of mine took 6. At that point, you can dry out the seeds for a few days and try again. It's like trying to pop the unpopped kernels of popcorn, but sometimes it works. CP2K or Ivan might be able to give you better advice at the next meeting.

Well, in genlisea news, they are deader than a doornail. Dang, I've never seen such a fast decline of healthy cps! I had them 3" under my Growlux as well. Same conditions as Tamlin, but with a 15 degree nighttime drop. I'm wondering, is it possible that they were in shock from the change in growing conditions from copper's home to mine? They were in a box for around 5 days (I think). I didn't bring them into full sun, but still...perhaps I should have put them in the bathroom drawer for awhile to get acclimated? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]

Jimscott, we all just need to stick some futuristic electrodes to Tamlin's head so that we can broadcast all of the cp information there. It would be like watching the Discovery Channel!
    A flytrap ate my homework!
    -Michelle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, I am writing a book. I save all this stuff and hopefully someday will become an honest to goodness author.
    Thanks for the kind words and appreciation.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Michelle...I like that idea! "WTAM...broadcasting CP News and Notes nightly at 8 p.m. EST." hehe Hmmmmm...CP radio....now that's an interesting idea. Talk radio with CP "luminaries" to answer questions. We have websites and discussion forums...why not radio? Or even better...TV!!
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Luminary? Must have been something I ate.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe we can turn it into a Roddenberry thing - CP Trek... these are the voyages of a CP bog....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast