What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Genlisea violacea

Im going to get a piece of Genlisea violacea.
Will it root without problems?
The soil will be 2:1. 2 parts peat, one part perlite.
Is this O.K?
The person who is giving me the piece said that peat and
a bit of perlite is really good.
And how do I look after it?
It will be on a desk next to a east facing window.
It will NOT be in a terranium, it wil be in a water tray.
If you say its nessecery, I can put a plastic bottle
over the plant. The inside of the bottle will get sprayed 2 + times a day.
Apart from that, any other suggestions?
I am completely new to Genlisea.
Any help appreciated,
Dino
smile.gif

they do well in lowland conditions.

Wht about highland conditions?
I can NOT provide warm nights.

i guess you can try it. i dont know what will happen.

for most people its very easy to give plants lowland conditions and alot harder to give plants highland conditions. but just curious, why cant you give them warm nights?

Because the U.K does not have warm nights.
It will be in my room, and I dont want to
boil with heat at night.

you can use a heat mat for repriles, it wont heat up your room lol.

or you could get a small 10 gallon aquarium with a heat mat under that, or a fish bowl with a heat mat.. or whatever really

I have grown many species of Genlisea in my sunroom year round, high temps in the summer and hit 40C and lows in the winter can drop to 0C though I do my best to keep it at 5C. All grew fine though they did slow down considerably during the winter. If you are going to be as crazy as I was I recommend letting the media stay only just moist at that time. I think they prefer higher light levels but if your plant grows happy in the window then don't argue with it. Personally I would be more inclined to use a media of equal parts peat and sand but that is just because I hate perlite.

Huh?
Why do you hate perlite, Pyro?
I never knew you could hate a rock.
I think I will keep my Genlisea wet(they are semi-aquatics)
Is this O.K?

I hate perlite because it tends to float up out of media when the pots are kept really wet and it also seems to be a great place for algae and moss to take hold and them swarm the pots. I am also concerned about some of the stuff that leaches out of it being bad for plants.

Yes you can grow them wet so long as the temps are not dropping to low (below 15ish)

some people have problems with pearlite because i think it encourages algea or something?

you could grow it like the guy in d'amato's book. he has them growing in a containger in pure lfs with a scroon to hold it in, then the pretty roots are dangling in a box of water. it's really cool!

I noticed some grren stuff on some perlite in my pots,
but it does not harm my plants.

The proper name for the plant Im
getting is Genlisea violacea "Caraca"
I need some help on growing it A.S.A.P.

Hi guys,

To say Genlisea are semi-aquatic is the same as saying that Utrics are too. Depends... which species??? Some are truly semi-aquatic like G.repens, G.guyanensis, G.sanariapoana, and G.sp."giant violacea".

G.violacea is usually annual in the wild and likes moist sandy soil or moss-covered rocks.

I'm happy to see you growing one of my "babies", actually the 1st Genlisea I saw in the wild and introduced to cultivation (I think it was 1992!). G.violacea from the Serra do Caraça in SE Minas Gerais state is a beautiful form and also very precious nowadays since it maybe be extinct in the wild, unfortuantely.

Take Care,
Fernando Rivadavia

P.S. I forgot to say that it is by no means a lowlander! G.violacea is always found above ~1000m altitude and those at Caraça grow around 1600-2000m.

Thank you for your help!
Hers my other question:
Is Genlisea violacea "Caraca" an annual?
And is it a semi-aquatic?

I think they grow as perenials in cultivation. Fernando is G.sp."giant violacea" the same as G.violacea "giant"?

REALLY? i thought they were lowlanders? thats what peter d'amato says.

of course he didn't discover them! it's soo cool that your on these boards!

Ahh, there ARE mistakes in Peter D"Amatos book.
I just need to know if its an annual and is it
a semi aquatic?

My giant violacea has behaved as an annual this year...

Hi guys,

Yes I'm sorry to say that not everything you read in Perter D'Amato's (and other CP books) is correct. Remember they are mostly written by cultivators who have little or no field experience nor taxonomical background. For example, G.violacea is not a lowlander and U.reniformis is NOT epiphytic.

I notice that very often people consider all plants from Brazil as being "lowlanders", simply because Brazil is viewed as a hot place. But please remember that Brazil is larger than the continental USA and although we don't really have many high mountains, most CPs do grow on cool highlands here, with few exceptions. Many get frosts and some even get snow in the winter (including some populations of U.reniformis, D.ascendens, and maybe even G.violacea!)

G.violacea "giant" and G.sp."giant violacea" are the same plant, a possible new species which is larger than regular G.violacea and is perenial.

G.violacea is USUALLY an annual in the wild, but in cultivation it is USUALLY a perennial. In the wild G.violacea does not occur as a semi-aquatic, it grows on moss-covered rocks (or in cracks in the rocks) and in open humid sandy soil among sparse grasses.

Good luck!
Fernando Rivadavia

Back