What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

i think it helped that my first lil pinch of U. livida took off like wildfire. that great success right off the bat got me interested in them now im interested in the whole group, although a lil less so on the true aquatics. it also helps that their flowers are on par with the orchids that i have been growing for awhile.

Rattler

Hi guys, I'm happy that you are pleased with the plants.

Regarding U. asplundii: I have found that this is the easiest plant from Sec. Orchidiodes to grow. I had it growing in a mix of sphagnum orchid bark and perlite, but I expect that it would be happy in any loose medium, maybe even pear/sand, but I would recommend against it. Do not try and force any utric from this section into dormancy, you will most likely kill it. Just water them like a normal house plant - wait for it to dry out then add water until it is soaked. When I unpotted mine to send out they had dozens of tubers and could probably go quite a long time without water if they had to.

Regarding feeding methods. I would advise against it. If you wind up with pests in your utrics, they are extremely sensitive to pesticides (Orthene SP75 works really well, but is expensive and difficult to find). I have never fed my plants and they always seem to do okay.

U. aureomaculata is a tricky one sometimes. When it grows it grows like crazy, but can be prone to dying off. You may want to try growing it in a .5-1cm layer of silica sand overtop a standard peat mix.

Just a general note: never assume that any utric is correctly labeled, watch carefully when they flower, and try and check them against a copy of Taylor's monograph (either your own, or one that probably resides in your local university library). I tried to not send out plants that I doubted were correctly identified, but I was pretty tired when I was packing them and may have mislabeled the bag.

Ah got my plants today. I got 8 plants all together.
U. bisquamata "Betty's Bay"
flaccida
delicatula
nova-zealandia
uliginosa
erectiflora
asplundii
G. aurea
woot now my collection is up to 12. Btw is there anything particulary hard to find, listed?

Ice Dragon,

U. erectiflora is scarce in collections, and G. aurea is none too common.

How is alpina culivated? What is different about that one, as opposed to the others?

well im back from Minneapolis and all the Utrics look good. most look like they have "sprung up" after being a lil flattened from shipping. all look good. i picked up a couple of those cheap plastic pot trays for house plants that i plan on putting the Genlisea and a couple of the other Utrics in as soon as the fill up the 4-pack cell that they are in.

Rattler

IceDragon,

I am having better luck growing U. erectiflora as a subaquatic. I have it in a jar filled with mounded peat. Water is standing about the mounds and it is currently liking the tops of the mounds. I wasn't getting much growth, and I divided it as above which has seemd to spark some new action. So far so good.

Ah, thanks for the tip!
Also my aspundii had  peice of its roots with a small tuber attached to it. That broke off in the mail, will this start growing this winter assuming that my plant is dormant right now?
Jim, i think alpine needs an airier soil and less wet conditions as the regular utrics.

Back