What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utric

U. sandersonii & bisquamata seem to be bombproof, even for a newbie like me. Would you like some for trade?

i started with livida. sandersonii is also a good one. lateriflora spreads real nice for me. tricolor spread easily but is a real pain to get to flower. actually i really havent found a difficult terrestrial species yet. some are harder to get to flower or spread slowly but they are rather easy to grow. as far as easy to grow AND flower i would go with livida, sandersonii and if Jim recomends bisquamata than that one too. i havent had bisquamata for very long and havent flowered it but it is spreading quite quickly for me.

Rattler

one plant i don't reccomend is Subulata, unless you want it taking over your other pots. it's like a plague, i tell you! it's so easy to grow that it's hard to erradicate.

I would recommend U. blanchetii, it's just as easy to grow and flower as sandersonii and livida, but with more colourful flower. It makes a nice change from the standard beginners' species. If you can stand to wait a bit longer for flowers, try U. dichotoma, U. flaccida, U. prehensilis or U. odorata. All have flowered reliably for me in a terrarium. U prehensilis will twine around a support, and U. odorata has a oddly sweet smell.

Back