What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Genlisea flowering?

You will have a hard time finding a paintbrish small enough to do the job but yes, they need pollination. Only G. hispidula and G. aurea have set seed for me unassisted.

Is it really worth the trouble to collect seed? Or should I just take leaf cuttings to propagate?

Capslock

I've done leaf cuttings. So far the ones that I took a few weeks ago have rooted and started new plants.
I thought of trying to get seeds so I can send it out to people.

Hi guys,

The traps are definitely different between Genlisea & Utrics, but watch out with the term stolons, which is usually applied to the underground stems. Most Utrics definitely have them, while only G.repens has stolons among Genlisea. The flowers of Genlisea I think are much more similar to those of Utrics however. Except the presence of 5 sepals, similar to Pings, and unlike Utrics that have 2.

Take Care,
Fernando Rivadavia

woo, "leaves", stolons, roots, traps.. so confusing!

Lol, Utricularia do have a number of interesting botanicalterminology associated with them, but this is all part of learning the botany of these cool plants. I use lolon to describe the leafy part of Utricularia and rolons for the "roots", but this has no botanical acceptance. Its a coined term. I am not a Utricularia taxonomist and have no wish to go there!

Leaf cuttings of Genlisea are the way to go for propagation. Traps also work well. Seed is difficult to produce and extremely difficult to germinate when not fresh. I did manage to germinate 2 year old seed of G. aurea recently, but that was a one off. It made a nice seed pod!

Back