Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Algae in my u.gigga

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes....it is a weed in my tanks.

So what is this sludge to be made out of? Does it have to be sphagnum or other similar media? Seeing they do so well in hard water i'm a bit hesitant to treat them like most other CP's
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow my aquatics in 10 gallon fish tank. There is a 2" layer of peat on the bottom. This is covered by 2" of aquatic soil and aquarium rock. The plants do very well in the tank. I do feed my aquatics, but some are rather large (Inflata). I feed them by keeping daphnia in the tank.
    I am just like a Super Hero, but without the power or motivation.................and the funky suit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]So what is this sludge to be made out of? Does it have to be sphagnum or other similar media? Seeing they do so well in hard water i'm a bit hesitant to treat them like most other CP's
    The "sludge" is a mix of water and whatever you have put on the bottom of the tank. Acidic mixes will inhibit algae. For me it is a mix of peat, dead u. gibba matter and algae [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img] (moss will tend to float when you raise the water level so is not ideal). Trust me. You can see mine flowering above in the peat and water substrate. Just keep it well shaded and in plenty of water until you have a dense mat, and this will then outcompete algae when you bring it into summer sun. Raise the water again at the end of the summer and keep shaded for the winter.

I grow other aquatics too and gibba is really not an aquatic in the same way. Things like vulgaris and radiata flower in deep-ish water (a good few inches at least), completely the opposite to gibba.

An examination of the flower stalks backs this up. If the plant was floating the flower stems would sink under water if visited by insects (imagine a floating version of sandersonii). Ripples in the water would also be likely to submerge the flowers. True aquatic flowering plants like inflata and radiata have even evolved to address this issue by adding floatation devices to their flower stems. With a firmer, sludgy substrate the tiny hair-like flower stems of gibba have support and stay upright:

When I first started with gibba I just floated it in water and it grew well but not much else happened. I would never now return to floating it in aquaria or tanks. I find little interest in a mat of green leaves unless it deigns to flower.

Here's a photo of it flowering in the wild, in what looks to be only a cm or two or clear water before the subatrate starts:

http://aquat1.ifas.ufl.edu/utrgib3.jpg

And another wild photo where there is no free water:

http://www.sarracenia.com/photos4/ugibb03.jpg
    Rob Howe.

Homepage
    http://www.ukorchidforum.com
    CP growlist

Seeking: Drosera hilaris (seed)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info! If anyone for some weird reason wants U. gibba starts-praps I might be able to do it. Beginner though. I've managed to make a wad that covers about 3 square cm, and it is still growing like crazy in the tank(getting tangled up in java moss and generally being a nuisiance).

So if I was to try a utricularia into this(typical fishtank) and expect flowers, what would you reccomend? BTW, the traps should be no bigger than those gibba has-I heard U. vulgaris can swallow mosquito larvae, so it would be a threat(and competition) for small fish fry.
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The larger the plant the larger the traps in general. U. gibba is about the smallest you can float on a tank. The true floating aquatics tend to have bigger traps (you can hear them all popping as you lift plants from the water!). Most of the smaller ones (like U. stygia and U. minor) are also shallow-water, bottom scouring plants, and won't do so well free floating - same as U. gibba.

U. radiata is fairly small, and easy. I haven't measured the bladders on mine, but they are not as big as vulgaris but not as small as gibba. U. purpurea is vigorous and sometimes invasive, but the plant is of small general stature.
    Rob Howe.

Homepage
    http://www.ukorchidforum.com
    CP growlist

Seeking: Drosera hilaris (seed)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12