Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Algae in my u.gigga

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started growing my first aquatic utric several weeks ago. (Thats a U.gibba BTW not a U.gigga!) It's in a typical 1/2 gallon fish bowl (peat/water mix) and seems to be spreading out just fine. However, I've noticed some algae beginning to collect along the branches. I've read this species is fairly algae tolerant. Should I be concerned? If so, what are some steps I can take to reduce or remove the algae without harming my plant?
    Professor Carrington..\"We owe it to science to stand here and
    die rather than destroy a source of
    wisdom\".

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I try to think about what is happening in their natural habitat. personally, I've never seen them. Don't own any. But I do know that ponds, swamps, bogs, etc... can be pretty mucky and algae-laden. Our plants that have been started from seeds, often have a small layer of algae, just as mature plants often have the wrong kind of mosses. As long as things aren't too thick and the plants don't seem to be stressed, it shouldn't be a problem. the one thing that works against us is that we have an artificial environment for them, kind of like taking a human and putting them in 6' x 6' room and expecting them to live in it, happily, for a few decades. There will be a little stess added just because things won't be 100% ideal. I wouldn't use chemicals to rid the algae, but large enough chunks can be removed manually, if deemed necessary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Opaque containers greatly reduce the incidence of algae which I have found can quickly overrun a transparent container.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In summer I grow U. gibba in a peaty sludge in full sun, letting the heat evaporate the winter water away and then just keeping it moist. There is algae attempting to grow in the sludge too, but the bladdertwort just grows through it flowering away merrliy. It only gets any kind of depth of water in autumn through to spring, when algae is less likely to grow due to cold temperatures and less light, and when I give it more shaded conditions anyway. You could try that?

Here's mine at the moment:

Best wishes.

Rob.
    Rob Howe.

Homepage
    http://www.ukorchidforum.com
    CP growlist

Seeking: Drosera hilaris (seed)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will this flower in a fully aquatic and hard water environ? It is currently running wild in my aquarium. However, if it would flower if I put it near the surface then it would turn from pest into a welcome addition.

According to most aquatic plant gardeners...its like algae only worse....people have had it for years and can't get rid of it.
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the suggestions. They'll be a big help I'm sure. How about feeding? I recently scooped up some pond water where a local utric species grows (it as loaded with daphnia) and I slowly added it to the water over a two week period. I was looking at purchasing a "Daphnia Magna Desktop Culture kit". Has anyone out there tried this? Is it even necessary? In addition, D'Amato states in the Savage Garden that gibba doesn't go dormant. Is it best to let gibba stay in a colder environment during the winter months or can I bring it indoors under growlights? I'll take whatever advice I can get.
    Professor Carrington..\"We owe it to science to stand here and
    die rather than destroy a source of
    wisdom\".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That should work just fine...but I don't think feeding is neccessary.
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    flytrap59:
    Gibba doesn't go dormant, no. It can take down to 2C or so. I prefer to keep it cold over winter as this obviates any algae issues at that time (algae doesn't grow so well in cold and shaded conditions, if at all). I never feed mine - it's quite vigorous enough, and no doubt there are now plenty of beasties in the substrate for it to catch which are smaller than I can see.

Nflytrap:
    It will not generally flower for you unless:
    a) it has formed a dense mat, AND
    b) the water is allowed to evoporate away in sunshine in summer.

It won't flower if it's floating loosely in masses of water. Let it multiply until the container is full of it, then let the water dry out to a wet sludge in summer. For this reason, you are unlikely to see flowers in a purely aquatic envrironment in an aquarium. By the way, all else being equal, do you find it grows OK in hard water?

Best wishes.

Rob.
    Rob Howe.

Homepage
    http://www.ukorchidforum.com
    CP growlist

Seeking: Drosera hilaris (seed)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast