Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A couple....hundred questions

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At first, I didn't know what to do with the livida, sandersonii, sandersonii - blue, and bisquamata seeds. But when I saw the beautiful "bunny ears" flowers from my sandersonii and the pics of others, they are well worth cultivating.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, I guess I'll just have to get my hands on a U. gibba cutting now. I'll start out with the easy plant and gain some experience then move up the difficulty level. Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it.

Edit: BTW would I be able to use creek water instead of pond water? Or does the water have to be still? I know of a park that has a creek that I can get to easily. Ponds are a little harder to find around here that isn't on private property.
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use distilled water or RO water for your plants. Only add a little pond water to get some water creatures in the water for food. Find a still section of the stream and you might be OK. I think a pond would be better. When you collect the water, hold the glass up to the light, you should see tiny little thingys swimming around.

Glenn

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless you know salt concentrations and Total Dissolved Solids (TDS), you are better off purchasing a gallon of distilled water for ~50 cents at Giant or Weis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For what it's worth, I never did anything to "feed" any of my utrics (terrestrials, "epiphytes" and subaquatics) and they all grew and flowered just fine. There was probably something living in the media, but never because I put it there on purpose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know to only give them distilled, RO, or rain water. I was asking if the creek water would have a sufficient amount of life in it to support an utric.
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what kind of soil do you use? how do you plant them?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I got mine in the mail I put them in 1 part peat and 1 part sand and I gave them A LOT of water. One thing I dont think you should use for water on utrics. Is rain water, algae has everrun my poor utrics. I think it's suffocating them. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img]
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast