What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. longifolia, u. livida

Hi, I just got a U. Livida and a U. Longifolia from BobZ and I just wanted to know how to grow the little guys so that they are healthy and happy. Do they go dormant or anything? What conditions do I give them in a dry dormancy?

Also, my U. Longiflia has lost all it's leaves from shipping and I was just wandering if it will grow some new leaves. I hope it recovers. And my final question! It rained pretty hard today and my U. Livida was pretty much uprooted because the rain kinda pushed the soil down and away from the roots. Is this OK? Will it reroot? Thanks.

Well I think longfolia needs a dormancy but livida doesn`t. Put some more soil around the lividas "roots". Yes the longfolia should grow more "leafs" from it`s lolons.

Neither species has a dormancy and both are tough customers. Utricularia actually like being disturbed and frequently repotted. It is impossible to drown them.

I think you would have to work at killing u.livida.

Cole

You don't understand how releived that makes me feel. LOL These are my very first utrics and I've been worrying about them ever since I potted them. I also have a Sandersonii too but that guys in the greatest condition he's got 3 or 4 flowers. Those flowers are soooo tiny. It seems like pollination would be really hard to do.

livida is pretty much bomb proof. ive had minefor almost a year. out of that it has been in bloom for almost 7 months. i have yet to grow longifolia but i do have about another 14 or so species most ive gotten i the last 2 months. so far i have flowered livida lateriflora and sandersonii. most all off these terrestrials seem quite easy. some grow a lil slower or are a pain to flower but as far as keeping them alive its been easy aslong as i have recieved a decent sized clump to start with. one i recieved as one or 2 lil leaves and it doesnt look it has made it. good luck with them they are addicting lil plants.

Rattler

Thanks for the luck. I'll need it for when I set up my terrarium for them and my other plants.

i can send you some longifolia sher, if you want.

that would be good...............you still have that staghorn fern laying around for me?

Rattler

i sure do! i never got the 10 dollars for shipping, though.

lol i know its going to be sent of with the rest of your stuff in the morning..........dan work getting in the way of everything.

Rattler

hey no problem
smile.gif
you can just put the money in with the utrics in the same box
smile.gif

Back