What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. striatula

I have read how Tamlin gorws this in "sphagnum slurry". Any more info? Eg. water level, light, temps, etc. etc?

Cheers!

Rob.

Hi Rob,

Mine are growing well in coomparitively low light about a foot from twin four foot flourescent tubes, one cool white one balanced spectrum (grolux).  The medium is supersphagnum (the kind that comes compressed in cubes like Phil Wilson has).  They are in shallow white plastic trays about 120 mm long and half as wide (got about 15 at a yard sale!).  The slurry is allowed to dry to wet, not less, and then is flooded to the brim.  The transpiration rate is good and I must reill about every other day.  Temperature is whatever the grow room is at: 50F min. winter, 70F max   In the warmer months it gets up to 90F with a good night time drop except in the hot months (which didn't come this year).  I use rain water.  Monthly I add some water from a U. macrorhiza site near here.  Ummmm, what else?  The plants are in an open aquarium with the light on the top, no glass or plastic between the palnts and the light.  Humidity is always at least 40%, and higher in the warmer months.  I thought this species would be a real problem, being a lithophile, but it has responded remarkably well to my culture.  It is a very interesting little Utricularia, and the lolons are very distictive.  I grow 2 forms, one has smaller lolons and the other slightly larger.  Currently some of the lolons are yellowing, and I am not sure why.  Lets hope it isn't a trend!  I hope this helps, and good luck with your cultivation.

Thanks!

I recently received some, and it seems not to like the regular peat/sand treatment so I think I may effect a change. Maybe it's simply too dry.

How long have you been growing it btw?

Cheers.

Rob.

Back