What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lil pots of moss multiplying?

i just recieved another package of different species for my "Pots of Moss Collection". i now have a total of 23 Utrics and 4 Genlisea with a couple doubled up do to recieving them from 2 different ppl. i think i have 30 total pots. if i remember right i have a couple more on their way soon. i started with just livida coming out of last winter. the other 26 species came this last spring and summer. these lil buggers are addicting. i have now flowered livida, sandersonii and lateriflora. hopefully more will follow soon. thanks everyone for contributing to my "Pots of Moss Collection" hopefully they will spread nicely this winter and come spring ill be able to send "care packages" to get a bunch of other ppl hooked on them too..........................................

It has begun.............

mwwwwwaaaaaaahhhhhhhaaaaahhhhhaaaaaa

welcome to the obsession ...........
LOL
ai'nt they kooL!!!!!!!
i've only got a few myself but eventualy i'd love to try my hand at all of them!!!!!!..........

CAUGH..ihavenolife..CAUGH
CAUGH

Amen brother!

Take care of the U. pauliniae. My plants died after I divided them for the auction
smile_h_32.gif

sorry to hear that. mines holding its own. the mosss is growing pretty thick. problem is everytime i try to remove it it also pulls the pauliniae up so i have just left it alone latly figuring that to be better than messing with it. if it spreads any you will definatly get it back Tamlin.

Rattler

Well, I sent out a number of divisions, so I hope others keep the ball rolling. The trick to getting rid of the moss is to let the plant grow stolons into the clean mix, and then dissect just that part out and place it in new mix under optimal conditions. Eventually, the moss gets left behind, but it means work. That's life.

It sounds like the plants are doing well in your conditions! Send me a copy of your growlist sometime and I'll see if I can beef up your collection, provided you have the space that is!

um space is getting a wee bit short. Joe just sent me a decent selection of epiphytic cacti cuttings.........someone else sent a nice selection of orchids.......just got a bunch of Utrics and a few Genlisea from another member. im going to pick up a couple of 10 gallon tanks this weekend, do some rearranging and ill see how space is doing in a week or two
smile_n_32.gif
i really dont think my collection needs to be beefed up anymore. i think i need to get what i have growing good and go from there. i hope stuff does well in my new coco fiber mix with a lil bit of peat added. maybe i can solve my sludge problem that has claimed a few utrics.

Rattler

could you beef up my collection???
hehehe

ok i'm gonna sighn offline now kuzz i keep teasing people with postings
and everyone probly wants serius posts
altho if you wanted i'd love some new plants
smile.gif

best of growing to everyone

be careful of whhat you ask for these pots of moss are addicting and take up room. i have found that if you go to a local greenhouse and ask for a flat or two of 4 packs(what you buy bedding plants in) they take up less room until you get them established. than just pop the plug into a 3-1/2 or 4 inch pot when it fills up its cell. becarefull though some establish and spread fast and want to go mingle with their nieghbors.

Rattler

i think that wouuld be the koolest thing ,
i love how diffrent they look , i do like the flowers don't get me wrong but i love even more the leves and traps , i was able to grow sandersonnii in water and it grew it's little bladers for me to see in the water , i also have u. longifolia that one is awsome , when i first got it i was like darn it does'nt have any bladers , so i took a division and put it in peat /perlite and a clear contaner and it was in an aquatic enviro , sure enough it grew thousands of bladers to amase me with , now i just need to trade in my magnifying glass for a microsope.......
what i like most about u renniformis is the large form has those HUGE leave that look like lilly pads and that eventualy it will grow bladders out of the bottom of a plant pot, and one of the orchidoids u.alpina
i saw a pic od how the tuber is conected to the plant almost like a longifolia but under the tuber are ALL of the diffrent looking bladders!!!

and U. tridenta looks in the bladders and stollons not the leafe parts the tubeythings it looks alot like U.ditchotoma een the bladders are almost undistinguishable from eachother the only diffrence i've seen is the flower s and the leafe looking stolons

and how the leaves of U.livida can become so similer to U.sandersonni
i think that's kool also.

please pardon my obbsession people
" yes i'm laughing at myself right now"!!!

if a person can't laugh at themselves over the little things you'll never be able to brush off other people laughing at you over emberassing things!!

well come spring i should have quite a variety i could send you. i have just recieved over half of mine and it will take till then before i can divide most.

Rattler

wwwwooooooooowwww.......
now that'll be something to look forward to
, do you have any pic's of your growing area ?
or like some of your plants ?
i hope it's ok to ask.

all pics i have are outdated by months. its a total mess but seems to be working. ill try and take some this weekend and post them next week if you like. im in the process of cleaning house which doesnt help.

Rattler

Congrats on the success and speed with which your collection has grown.

My collection has also grown by 12 spices in the last few months - thanks to those who have helped. I now have a total of 30 utrics and 2 genlisea.

If anybody out there wants beef up my collection I have lots-o room
smile_n_32.gif

Chris

Hi Chris,

Hmmmmm, what sort of minerals are in YOUR area, hee hee.

I sort of have a soft spot for minerals, and for Rattler as well since he's sent me emeralds, sapphires and moss agates. Keeps promising me a mountain of garnets too someday when his wife isn't looking. When gemstones and gold ore start arriving in the mail, it fills me with happy energy and I find myself boxing up plants like theres no tomorrow!!!

Still, if you send me your growlist, I might happen to have something I can spare. A collection the size of yours sort of insists on growing!

Sorry we don't have emeralds or sapphires in minnesota, how bout I send some taconite.

O.K we do have a few nice Gems here, Lake Superior Agate, Thomsonite, and Jaspers - Mary Ellen Jasper being one of the best. I have samples of all these plus Pipestone and a few others stones I don't remember. The problem is I don't know where my box of rocks is......... I also have nice collection of geodes and Amethyst displayed in my apartment (I don't think I could part with any of these). The best I could offer are some peices of agate, I also have some crystals that were pull from rocks along the shores of lake Superior.

Thanks, Chris

about a week ago jeremiah gave me a huge pot of U. Dichotoma, another one of livida, and soon i'll be getting some aquatics:
U. Machrorhiza Plumas Co. CA
U. Bremii
U. Foliosa thanks to the kindness of RubraRubra

Taconite would be fine as frog hair with me. As for the agates, they are a favorite stone expecially if they are whole nodules. Crystals!!! Dug from rocks, oooooooo. I think you've got the idea there VD.

The happier I get, the more I pack, lol!

Seriously folks, I am into any named minerals, not just gemstones. What is common in your back yard can be a prize to me if it isn't within reach. Agates are common in some places, but not here!

Hey Tamlin,
I have some authentic 1989 San Franicsco Earthquake rubble if you'd like it for your collection. Seriously. I bet you don't have any of that yet!

Oh, and my U. paulinae is spreading pretty well. I've had decent luck carefully excavating out the moss, and it's spread to the non-mossy areas. I can send you some if you need some.

Capslock

You should just let it establish well before dividing it I think. I am in no hurry, and thanks for the reasurrance that the plant is happy with you. When it seems like it is there to stay I will gladly take you up on that offer, you are most kind.

Back