What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello,

I'm trying to setup a tank for aldrovanda poland. I've visited this forum, bestcarnivorous plants.com, and other sources of information. I think I have a lot of good information, but I have a few questions for anyone who is sucessfully growing these plants:

Background: I want to grow them indoors in a 10 gal tank.

1. Light: how much light do they need? I was going to give them 46W of florescent lighting 14hr/day.

2. Other plants: Are other plants needed to keep Aldo healthy? I've read conflicting stories..... one source said to avoid surface plants because they will outcompete the Aldro, but another says they are good because they shade the plant. If plants are needed, will the plants sold at the petstore do, or do I need to get more natural "pond plants"?

3. Substrate: What do I put at the bottom of the tank, and in what thickness? I read that people use decaying plant leaves, reeds, etc.....will using sphagnum peat work instead? I was thinking 5cm peat covered by 5cm sand as a substrate.

4. CO2: Is adding CO2 really necessary? I thought that the decaying plant matter would produce enough of it. If not, I will likely use the "water + sugar + yeast" method.

5. Snails: I read that adding a couple of snails reduces the algae in the tank. Will any old pet-store water snail do, or is there a serious risk of the snails eating the plant? Any other more practical way to control algae?

6. Peat tea: Some make "peat tea" water. What is this, and how do you make it?

7. Feeding: Ponds around here are polluted, so I'd like to avoid using it. Any other way to feed the Aldro?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

For peat tea, ask (Joe) Griffin.

Don't you just add teawater and mix it with the peat to raise acidity or something?

Back