What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greenhouse?

A terrible thing happened a year ago.... I let someone else water my plant collection and I have absolutly no idea what happened but everything died (had to have been contaminated water???), it was so fustrating I havent thought about CP's in a year
smile_h_32.gif
but on a brighter note, I will be designing and building a greenhouse sometime in the next year, to house a new collection of Utrics :)Which brings me to my question....

Does anyone know how cold toleratant the different species of Utrics are??

It varies from species to species. Some that I have found to be able to go low and still hang in there are U. subulata, bisquamata, cornuta, juncea, reniformis, praelonga, tridentata, dichotoma (esp, the NZ populations), and most of the temperate aquatics. Probably many more, but I haven't experimented. Keep in mind cold doesnt mean frozen solid, although some can even handle that. I froze reniformis solid and it wasn't much affected beneath the surface, but it wasn't a long term freeze either.

Hmmm... sounds like I will have to experiment, Im kicking around the idea of having one big greenhouse barely heated to keep it above freezing at night (im thinking it will naturally warm itself up during most days) or, having on big greenhouse with a seperate room that I keep well heated? Has anyone found any species that are really sensitive to cold?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (kayaker78 @ Sep. 12 2004,7:57)]A terrible thing happened a year ago.... I let someone else water my plant collection and I have absolutly no idea what happened but everything died (had to have been contaminated water???), it was so fustrating I havent thought about CP's in a year
smile_h_32.gif
but on a brighter note, I will be designing and building a greenhouse sometime in the next year, to house a new collection of Utrics :)Which brings me to my question....

Does anyone know how cold toleratant the different species of Utrics are??
Ah, I was wondering what happened to you. Sorry to hear about the loss(es).

I reckon all the north american utrics can handle cold, as well as anything that grows in high altitudes such as alpina, reniformis, asplundii, and campbelliana, to name some of the coolest.

Peter

The loss was fustrating, but the mitigating factor I think was that I had pretty much sent a cutting or start of everything I had to others.... Its nice to know that the plants werent really lost and somewhere out there (hopefully) they are still growing..... Also I have realized from looking at some of the recent posts in the trade forum that I can trade all the stuff I have lying around and no longer want for plants....

Also the funnest thing about Utrics is you get to watch little tiny plants turn into something nice, I will be looking forward to that
smile.gif

come spring i should have quite a number of species that i can divide. i would be happy to help you rebuild your collection then. i now have quite a variety myself thanks to members here. most are still lil plugs but are quite healthy and starting to spread.

Rattler

Thank you rattler, hopefully I will have plenty to trade by then! I gave away about 25 species of Utric to a local grower that grows cp's commercially, I think I am going to contact him and hopefully he was successfull enough to rebuild my collection
smile.gif

The sad thing is Im not even setup for plants right now, Im taking that step tomorrow
smile.gif
Im gonna install shelving and pull my lights out of storage... Im really excited to have a greenhouse, but its still a little less than 2yrs off
smile_h_32.gif
the property to put it on has been acquired but I need to have a house built and move there!

not to worry. its going to be to cold to ship from here before long. just make sure you have space next spring. dont worry about trades i might ask for help on shipping but that would be it. i recieved most of mine for nothing or next to it. besides im getting a lil short on room and am spending next summer building a greenhouse.

Rattler

Back