What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you grow genlisea?

G

I was just wondering how everyone grows their Genlisea. Pictures would be great
smile.gif
Any other cool set-ups like the one in Savage Garden? Has anyone else tried that?

I have but one lonely leaf cutting, given to me by Elgecko a few weeks ago. Currently, I have it outside, open tray, southern exposure, sand and peat mix. Incredibly, I see the (2) tiniest of green leaves emanating from its base.

I'm not the resident expert, so we'll have to wait for more experienced growers.

i just got most of mine. G. filliformis looks like it may not make it but my others look good so far. all are in peat i think. either that or they are in my new mix of mainly cocofiber and a lil bit of peat and LFS i dont remember ill have to look tonite. all constantly moist/wet since they are in with my terrestrial Utrics. bright light. so far so good except for the filliformis which i have been told is picky and difficult.

Rattler

I grow mine currently in undrained pots of LFS, peat moss, and sand. I flood them from time to time.
I have taken a few leaf cuttings of my Genlisea lobata a month or so ago. Since they have started new plants, I just transfered them a week ago into the new pot I made for them so that the traps will be visible. Here's a link that shows the set up I'm trying for the new leaf cuttings. http://elgecko.proboards28.com/index.c....3487496

I grow G. lobata in undrained containers of mostly lfs. Here's a pic:

genlisea3.sized.jpg

I also took a leaf cutting a while ago, and it's sprouted now, too. Don't know what I'll do with it yet, and I have no way of looking at the traps. Nice flowers, though!

Capslock

Wow! Thats an awesome idea elgecko =) And what a beautiful plant Caplock
biggrin.gif
Thank you everyone for your replies..
anyone else?

mine grow in the terrarium. they grow over a layer of live spaghnum, which is over a mixed substrate that makes everyone happy.

I have a G.sp.giant violacea that I grow in a betta bowl half full with pure washed "floating" peat. I water it so that it`s literally flooded with over 1\2in. of water over the soil surface and then let it go to bare dampness. The plant is about 3 in. under 2 25 watt 4 foot shoplights at the end of the tubes. How cold can they take? Will I have to heating pad them? It seems happy.

I have 3 species, Genlisea violacea 'caraca', Genlisea lobata x violacea and Genlise pygmea.
Pygmea looks kinda dead.........it probably is dead.
smile_h_32.gif

I grow them all in the same place, my window.
Only G.pygmea doesnt seem to like it.
smile_h_32.gif

Jimscott,
Cutting take a long time to make a proper plant. My violcea 'caraca' cutting took 5-8 weeks to make a proper, small rossete.
Now I will have to wait a few more months to get flowers.

My Genlisea lobata x violacea has a flower stalk on it, as soon as the flower opens I willl post a pic.
smile.gif

Dino
cool.gif

Back