What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finally

BigCarnivourKid

It's been one of dem days
and I stress the singular "a flower". My U. sandersonii 'Blue' took pity on me after 3 months and sent up a nice flower to tease me with last week and it opened today. I have to show it off
laugh.gif
!
2004_1015_U%20sandersonii%20blue.jpg

If I'm good, it might be nice and give me some more! lol

Cheers!

awesome, my livida, and sandersonii are sending up flowers, but none on the sandersonii blue, although it is a very large clump

It's amazing how much more infrequently and shy the blue clone is on flowering. Grats! I think I have seen one flower on mine compared to dozens and dozens on the normal form.

I do not think that there is any time that my normal form does not have at least 1 flower on it.

I think it's actually smiling!

Thanks guys.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tony Paroubek @ Oct. 15 2004,11:25)]It's amazing how much more infrequently and shy the blue clone is on flowering. Grats! I think I have seen one flower on mine compared to dozens and dozens on the normal form.

Tony, I agree. My normal form has been flowering constantly for months. I had heard how "stingy" the blue form was with its flowers, so I was really suprised to see even one flower after only 4 months of growing it. I thought I'd have to wait much longer than that.

My normal sandersonii is sending up two flower stalks right now.

Very nice. And congrats. Mine is sending up a stalk now it seems to be doing better in pure washed "floater" peat.

Do sandersonii prefer "not so hot" conditions? The flowers stopped developing after i put them in my growchamber (where it get really hot).

Good question AE, and I can't give an answer, other than to say my sandersonii blue flower formed after the weather got cooler and the days got shorter. Whether the temp and/or day length really had anything to do with it flowering I can't say. With my regular sandersonii I know it didn't make a difference because it's been in flower continuously for a few months now. Maybe someone else can give us an idea on what triggers the flowering in U. sandersonii 'Blue'.

U sandersonii comes from South Africa between 200-1200m. I haven't been to South Africa but isn't that so far south of the equator that even at sea level is pretty cool year round?

T

utricularia.sandersonii.blue.jpg

I think it is cooler temps, this pic is from about 2 years ago, I hink it was taken in february??? Temps dropped pretty good at night as I never turn on the heater in my apartment (grow lights heated it sufficently during the day), maybe a 15 degree drop?

Back