Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Utricularia capilliflora

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ::collapse::... huh? what happened? ::looks at screen::... ::collapses again::
    They say if you play a Microsoft CD backwards, you hear satanic messages. Thats nothing, cause if you play it forwards, it installs Windows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rattler, here is your care (habitat) info:

U. capilliflora is from the northern territory of Australia, it is found growing in damp sand at the edge of streams and marshes in open vegitation. generally found at low alltitude and it flowers april and may....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reminds me of U. dunlopii.....probably an annual species. Very nice to see the photo!
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey folks.

An interesting note about this species, from Taylor's book. There are four utric species that share a similar flower form (U. antennifera, dunlopii, capiliflora and dunstaniae, I think - excuse any spelling errors, I don't have the book handy.)

However; in two species the appendages extend from the upper corolla lobe, while in the other two, they extend from the lower corrola lobe. This indicated two completely different evolutionary paths to arrive at a very similar and seemingly very unlikely form. There must be a pollinator in the neighborhood with a very strong and particular attraction to that flower shape.

Anyway, just thought it was interesting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    U. capilliflora may be endangered not sure. Llyod's book has botanical drawings of it. I know U. dun.... is endangered with only up to 50 plants at one of the 4 sites.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12