What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I don't suppose this "growth" is u. flava?

Sorry about poor quality image.  Could this possibly be U. flava popping up or is the photo too poor to guess?  I only had 3 seeds and the little green fleck popped up in the general vicinity of where I had placed 1 of the 3 seeds. Crossing my fingers and hoping it is a baby utricularia.

91c10d32.jpg

I can't tell from the pic, but I can tell you that my S. alata seedlings looked like an interstate lamp - only a whole lot smaller, sometimes with the seed coat still attached. The Utric seedlings I have had look either like blades of grass or duckweed.

Nope, I took a magnifying glass and it doesn't look like a rounded blade of grass and it doesn't look anything like duckweed.  I suspect it is a weed as it looks like mini water lettuce- ewww ick!  Oh well, I'll leave it be just in case.

I'm afraid I'm stumped with this one. I don't have experience germinating Utrics from seed yet so can't really make any judgements without being blasted by experienced members
laugh.gif
... Sorry! I hope they do eventually decide to grow for you!

Amori
Good luck!

Tee he, that's ok! I used a magnifying glass and still can't hardly determone anything. Probalby a weed.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LauraZ5 @ Jan. 16 2005,2:20)]Could this possibly be U. flava popping up ...I only had 3 seeds ... Crossing my fingers and hoping it is a baby utricularia.
I am confused. U. flava? The ICPS Database does not list U. flava, but Taylor's monograph states that U. flava (R.BR., 1810; A.DC, 1844) is a synonym for U. chrysantha. Your 3 seeds must have been almost microscopic (they are 0.25 mm long).

If you are referring to S. flava, this thread should be moved to the Pitcher Plant section.

Oh, I looked at flava and automatically thought Sarracenia. Oops!
biggrin.gif

I was referring to U. flava. There were four seeds and they could have quite easily balanced on the tip of a schmetz fine sewing needle. I tried my darndest to get all 4 in different locations in the little tray however I sneezed or my arm was bumped by a cat or something happened and I lost one seed but that still left me with 3.  They were either dark brown or black.  I took the name right off of the mini envelope in which they were sent to me. They could have been mislabeled however they were about the same size as the D. filliformis 'All Red' seed that was sent to me and to the best of my knowledge they weren't Sarracenia seed which is considerably larger to the extent that one can see the actual shape of the seed.

Bob, if I was sent something rare... I'd really prefer to give them to somebody else.  Quite frankly, I would be more than happy to send them to you.  There is already a slime mold on the surface of the growing medium which did not please me in the least although I realize it is relatively harmless.  It was my understanding utric seed could germinate in as little as a few weeks or up to a year.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Treaqum @ Jan. 17 2005,4:27)]Do you mean U. flacia
Laura, you might contact the sender and ask for a verification of what they sent.

Tre, there is no U. flacia in any references that I know.

I think he means U. flaccida. Right Tre??

Tre, do you mean U. flaccida?

Maybe he meant U. flatulenceata......
smile_n_32.gif

Sorry, I am enjoying a salad at work and am in a impish mood.

>;-D

Joe

Joe,

How often does it flower? I'll bet they smell like roses.

Sorry, no salad to cause my silliness, wait....what kind of salad were you eating?
confused.gif

smile_n_32.gif

Glenn

Joe, I have a house full of males over here.  They are very interested in this U. flatulenceata.  They claim this would most assuredly be a plant for us. Would you please advise as to where we can purchase same.

It wasn't me... The flowers did it!!!

Likely story. You're hiding sources on that plant.

Gosh, what is this... a male bonding session at my expense. I feel so alone and U. flatulenceataless because you guys are MOST OBVIOUSLY hoarding all the good stuff. Sheesh! I would have really liked to have added that plant to my grow list but it would appear I am "odd man" out here.  The poor newcomer banished to the corner of the bog while everyone torments me by speaking so openly of this very rare and coveted U. flatulenceata.  Didn't your mommas teach you all how to share?

U. flatulenceata? Um..... I see a word within a word here and roses are not what come to mind! though something organic does.
smile_m_32.gif

Back