What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. sp zimbabwe

Howdy all,

Got this plant last year from BestCP.  U. sp. Zimbabwe.  I don't know anything more than that on it's origins.  Anyway it has flowered for the first time.  Here are a few pictures.  Preliminary looks like a very pretty clone of U. livida.  I have not looked at the traps yet.

Anyone have any other information on the plant or grow it themselves?

Plant:
UzimPlant.jpg

Flower:
Uzim1.jpg

Uzim2.jpg

Tony

not sure what it is but definatly a nice looking flower. its got more of a "skirt" than the livida clone i grow.

U. livida has great variability, which was discussed at length in Taylor's 1964 paper (Kew Bulletin 18). Take a close look at the traps. That is one of the more definitive diagnostics. For example, there was a discussion recently about the difference between livida and microcalyx. The trap tells that story.
livida_microcalyx.jpg

hmmmmmmmm, dang near as scary looking as a N. hamata
smile_n_32.gif

Im back after working nearly 70 12 hour days in a row!!!

I actually have that plant labeled as U.livida in my collection (aquired from Tony), I cant remember why?? but I know it took alot of staring at my copy of Taylor. Mine hasnt flowered. I believe that plant is being grown as U. livida in Europe

I will dig up some traps and break out the scope. Everything else points to U. livida. Looks like it will be called U. livida Zimbabwe. Overall the plant has much more purple in the plant and flower parts compared to any of the other U. livida clones I have.

It looks like what I am growing as U. livida "Sp. South Africa" and similar as well to U. livida "Sp. Durban". Very nice flowers, but sparsely produced for me. It's always a treat when it flowers.

Nice to see you William!

I have U. livida sp. Durban also from BCP. It looks like all the other U. livida to me.. green leaves/stem, more of a vertical elongated flower mostly white with a touch of light pink. Maybe yours is a different clone?

Not sure what to do with this thing. It looks different than the 3 other clones I have. Much pinker with a wide skirt that nearly covers the spur. Would seem a shame to just call it U. livida and lose the Zimbabwe reference. I also would not want to give it a new 'name' if others have already done so. Maybe this week I can look at some traps and confirm even further it is a U. livida.

Tony

Back