What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pics of u. longifolia...

ludwig777

Neps, Neps, Neps.........
This is U. longifolia, how do you get it to bloom?  Notice it is growing right on the shelf in the greenhouse...
DCP_0363resize.JPG

Another shot:
DCP_0362resize.JPG

...and a pic of the greenhouse and all the new Utrics I received for trade this week:
DCP_0364resize.JPG

Savage Garden says they need a "dry winter rest period." Maybe you can dry them out and show them who's boss? It might stimulate flowering - lots of plants need to experience winter-like conditions to flower.
~Joe

They usually flower when rootbound. Maybe just wait a few more seasons to grow more roots?
smile_m_32.gif

There are very different clones of U. longifolia: I got one from a friend which refused to flower for at least 10 years, he had plants in each terrarium with giant root balls!

There are also very floriforous clones: For example U. longifolia var. forgetiana or the floriforous clone from carniflora. Those plants flower in small pots (7cm) readily!

Cheers,
Jan

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JanW @ Feb. 14 2005,6:14)]There are very different clones of U. longifolia
I agree that there are different clones. I have grown a clone of U. longifolia for about 5 years and it has never flowered. Then, last March I received a small Utric plug that was labeled U. alpina. It grew well, but imagine my surprise when it flowered in early December and turned out to be U. longifolia, not U. alpina.
U_longifolia2760.JPG

The flower has persisted for 2 months now and even the first flower on the scape shows no signs of fading. It grows in my unheated greenhouse where the winter night temperature reaches about 35F. The other longifolia clone is just poking along and shows no sign of producing a flower.

WOW that flower looks surreal!
I really have to stop looking at pictures before I get TOO traumatized.

Bob, that is amazing!  I hope mine does that some day.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ludwig777 @ Feb. 14 2005,6:37)]I hope mine does that some day.

I do not think that you will flower that one. It looks like to be one of the non floriferous clones. In that size it would be full of flowers now. Anyway its a good vegetative reproducer and can even kill D.capensis by taking its light if planted together in a terrarium or big pot.

Cheers,
Jan

ludwig777,

Sorry for jumping in here, but seeing that your specimen grows so well, I just have to ask you what growing medium you use and how wet you keep it.

Regards,

Christer

[b said:
Quote[/b] (christerb @ Feb. 16 2005,2:55)]ludwig777,

Sorry for jumping in here, but seeing that your specimen grows so well, I just have to ask you what growing medium you use and how wet you keep it.

Regards,

Christer
It is in sphagnum, peat, perlite, and fine orchid bark, and it is flooded at all times.

Simply awesome ludwig. I used to grow this plant very well. Then it came down with mites so I drowned it. ...in the dark. It didn't like it too much and I lost it. I think this is the same clone that bobz recieved as "U. alpina" as that's what mine was called. Now I can't keep my new current plant barely alive. Here is what mine used to look like:
U.longifolia1_3-23-03.jpg

Andrew

[b said:
Quote[/b] (adnedarn @ Feb. 16 2005,8:33)]Simply awesome ludwig.  I used to grow this plant very well.  Then it came down with mites so I drowned it.  ...in the dark.  It didn't like it too  much and I lost it.  I think this is the same clone that bobz recieved as "U. alpina" as that's what mine was called.  Now I can't keep my new current plant barely alive.  
Andrew
Yours doesn't look much like mine, especially the new growth where mine comes out and reaches some length as a thin spike before it widens...doesn't look like yours behaves this way. (Look closely at my second picture, directly in the center of the plant is a reddish spike: this is a new shoot still not widened).

[b said:
Quote[/b] (adnedarn @ Feb. 15 2005,11:33)]Then it came down with mites so I drowned it.
I had great result when simply cutting all infected leaves. As all leaves were infected I removed the complete overground growth and the plant did a great job in growing those parts again in no time. Its just like D. capensis.

Cheers,
Jan

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ludwig777 @ Feb. 15 2005,8:45)]Yours doesn't look much like mine, especially the new growth where mine comes out and reaches some length as a thin spike before it widens...doesn't look like yours behaves this way. (Look closely at my second picture, directly in the center of the plant is a reddish spike: this is a new shoot still not widened).
I'm sure mine grew almost one of a kind. This was grown indoors sat off about 3 ft to the side of all my flourecent tubes. So, the wide leaves was probably for the lack of light? I loved the way it looked though!! I do currently have some longifolia outside that hasn't done crap all winter, but maybe it'll start growing now that it is getting warmer and will show some more growth like yours.
Andrew
Also, thanks Jan for the tip I'll keep that in mind. Although, I now use a small spray bottle of RO water with a few drops of cinnamon leaf oil which seems to be very good at taking care of those mites.

Thanks a lot for the reply, ludwig. I wish you the best trying to get it to flower.

Regards,

Christer

Back