What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. subulata & u. longifolia:

Hey guys! I am wondering if I need to do something to make my Utricularias bloom. They seem to be healthy and happy, but I have not seen flowers. Is it the winter, or I must do something special to make them bloom?

Thank you, guys!

My U. subulata bloomed when I reduced the photo period in my grow room from 16 hrs to 8 hrs. I did this over an extended period so my plants didn't freak. It also makes pygmys make gemmae like there is no tommorrow.

No luck with U. longifolia!

Glenn

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Glenn @ Feb. 17 2005,11:30)]No luck with U. longifolia!
Look in the other active thread about U.longifolia. Its an issue with some clones which do not seem to bloom often. Other clones flower even in small pots.

Cheers,
Jan

Heard U. longifolia flowers when grown in a pot that is very shallow and has a large surface area. I have yet to do this... maybe next week I'll do some repotting...

Homer

Hey guys!

Glenn, so, less photoperiod is what it works with subulata. Well, my subulatas have been thru winter outside, and photoperiod was short, now iti s rising, so I guess I wont see any flowers until next fall... ohhh
smile_h_32.gif

JanW, hmmm... I went to the other topic and read about the clones. So I guess it is amatter of time and waiting to see what happens, right?

Homer, I have my longifolia in a shallow pot (bonsai pot to specific) and the plant have almost cover the pot. Should I re-pot it?

I am thinking if there is a season for flowering for these plants. Should I wait until sping has arrived, or maybe summer?

So, any other thoughts??? I really want to se at least 1 flower per species... well, I think we all want that
smile.gif

dont know what sets off blooming all my Utrics are under a fixed photoperiod under lights. ive bloomed about 1/2 of my 23 species now. i dont have subalta(well maybe, i see some suspicious flowers in my tricolor pot that arent tricolor) and i dont want it. i dont have longifolia yet but i do believe i will have it shortly so i cant comment on these but so far my experiance in blooming Utrics is they bloom when they want to and not before. reguardless if your doing everything right. sooooooooo sit back be patient and they will bloom eventually(especially subalta) and if you want lots of flowers get yourself a sandersonii or livida.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (homer @ Feb. 20 2005,2:29)]Heard U. longifolia flowers when grown in a pot that is very shallow and has a large surface area. I have yet to do this... maybe next week I'll do some repotting...

Homer
Homer,

I do not want to repeat myself, please read my postings here:
http://www.petflytrap.com/cgi-bin....t=16623
It really depends on the clone, many flower almost never!
For those who aren't stubborn you do not need any tricks, just let them grow.

Cheers,
Jan

Thank you for repeating yourself anyway Jan. I looked up that post you pointed out and wouldn't you know it... the clone bobz was talking about (the one named U. alpina) was the one I gave him last March LOL. I recieved it in a trade in late 2002 under the name "U. alpina". It hasn't bloomed for me yet, I would LOVE to get an unheated greenhouse, but now its either 65F for a low temperature, or in the low 20F. So, I'll have to think of another way to get it done.

So I have 2 longifolia clones... looks like I won't waste my time on repotting the sucker then.

Homer

Back