What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sandersonii "blue flower" ?'s

are there several clones? i have seen pics of what i would call a pale true blue flower. mine is actually a lavander color and not what i would call a shade of blue. are there different ones floating around or would differences in light or something account for the difference?

Man, I'd be happy to see ANY flowers on those things! Good growing Sheridan!

lol, i really dont know why yah think im such a good grower. i do NOTHING special. all my plants are sitting under lights in my kitchen which could be considered a fairly hostile enviroment, low humidity, high variations in temperature(its warmer now cause the heat got bumped up yesterday due to the new baby chinchilla). or maybe thats why they do good is because they dont experiance constant soft conditions and a lil stress kicks them into gear.

anyways anyone who has bloomed it, what color were they? light blue or lavander/pale purple?

I think blue form is an overexaggeration. Very few true blue flowers around. You can't judge from photos reliably either as lavender/blue is very hard to reproduce accurately. And as you mentioned already. Cultural conditions can change flower color significantly. As for how many clones of the 'blue' form there are.. I have no clue. From my recollection, compariing with the highly floriferous normal plant, the flower seems to be slightly different shape, there is a hint of blue if that, it almost never flowers.

Tony

i have both types, my "typical form" is white with dark lavander highlights. the "blue form" is lavander with dark lavander/purple highlights. the typical form is extreamly floriferous, i have probly over 100 flowers coming from a plant taking up a 2x2 inch patch of ground. the flower stalks can also be fairly tall, 3-4 inches on my plant. the blue form is covering its entire pot a 3.5x3.5 area(over twice the surface as the typical) and has about 12 flowers held on short stalks, 1.5 inches MAX. generally one flower per stalk where the typical will have several. ill have to look at the flowers more closely to see if there is a difference in shape, i hadnt thought of that.

I probably had them under the soft conditions for too much of the year last year. They were inside for the Spring and outside for the Summer & Fall and back inside for the Winter. I plan to have ALL of the Utrics outside for the next 8-9 months - as soon as we no longer have freezing overnight lows.

differences in flower shape. im not sure of technical terms but anyone who has a blooming or has looked closely at a blooming sandersonii should be able to figure out what im talking about.

"typical form": tall skinny "ears"(jackrabbit type), the "skirt" is narrower than the "blue form" forming maybe a 50-60 degree angle, and the "spur" curves from where it connects to the base of the flower out and past the bottom of the "skirt" for quite a distance(maybe half the "spurs" length) touching the bottom of the "skirt" in most flowers.

"blue form":  short squat "ears"(cottontail type), "skirt" flares more than the typical(maybe 100-110 degrees). the "spur", from the base of the flower, starts to curve but after a short distance starts heading in a downward direction and does not protrude past the bottom of the "skirt", never coming even close to touching the skirt.

after a closer inspection, i found some flower stalks on the "blue form" that have 3 flowers but the entire stalk is still only an inch or a lil more tall. the "typical form" sometimes has 5 or 6 flowers per stalk but these stalks are up to about 5.5 inches tall. the flower stalks of the "typical form" that only have 3 flowers(the max found on my "blue form" so far) are still twice the length of the same 3-flower stalks on my "blue form". total flowers on in my "blue form" pot numbered 16 before a couple were sacrificed for close comparison to the typical form. didnt notice any great diferences in lolon shape but this species seems to produce slightly different shaped lolons depending on age, light, ect so its kind of difficult to compare them.

maybe that's just it. you're supposed to stress them into flowering! :p

I just threw most of my Drosera and all my terrestrial Utics in a new lowland Nep container. It outside so I will report on how it does.

Back