Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Daphnia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i dont know how to spell daphnia but where can i get them?? i have heard u can take them from lakes and ponds but i really hate to in fear of getting some disease or something? where else can u get them from?
    Thanks

Brad
    thanks for you imput

Brad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    don't worry about disease or anything (unless the lake is polluted or something). You can get them from lakes and ponds. You can even make a "plankton net" and catch tons of copepods, daphnia and others.
    it's also kind of easy to culture daphnia but you just have to be careful for them not to eat all the algae and then starve to death...
    ok, so how to catch them. You can either just go out and dip a jar into the water, or you can make a plankton net.
    to culture them it's best to go to a lake that has free swimming algae (have you seen those fake-looking lakes that are all green?) just go there, take some water, add a little of fertilizer, and put it in a well light place. When there's plenty of algae, you can add daphnia and you'll have tons of them in no time. (be sure to start new jars of algae so they don't eat it all)
    for the plankton net-
    1.take a nylon stocking cut off the ends so you just have a tube.
    2. bend the end of wire hanger into a loop
    3. sow one end of the nylon stalking around the loop
    4. tie/glue/whatever a small container (gerbers or something) to the other end of the stocking
    5. go out to the lake and just ... use the net like you would any other net :P
    and ta-da you have TONS of plankton for your utrics/etc.

or... you could waste your money and time finding/buying daphnia from a store... i've heard they sell them but I've never seen any.
    edit: here are some sites:
    daphnia collecting and discoveries
    anatomy of a daphnia
    random site
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks alpha. I need some daphine anyway

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how big r they? the daphnia? i mean can u see them go into a jar? thanks

Brad
    thanks for you imput

Brad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    some of them are pretty small, others are pretty big. there's this huge nocturnal one but I really don't see you catching any so forget about that one. The biggest ones i've seen would fit inside this "O" nicely (well... maybe a little bigger...)
    if you want to culture them, make sure you don't have any copepods or hydra... cuz they'll eat them in no time.
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jst put them in your utric tank or androvanda tank. they will be fine (snicker)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a lot of places on the Internet you can buy clean Daphnia cultures. Do a search on "live food cultures" and you should find a bunch.

Florida aqua farms (https://3kserver7.com/~frank/secure/agora.cgi) sells a product call Roti-Rich or something like that and daphnia thrive off of that. Then you don't need to concern yourself with greenwater culture. I think they sell daphnia too.

Of coarse if you have the space, growing greenwater is as easy as setting up a tub of water out of the way someplace and tossing a few rabbit turds in there and coming back in a week or two. Daphnia love this stuff!

When you grow daphnia, you can tell by the color how they're doing. If they have a reddish color, there's plenty of O2 in the water and they'll be breeding parthanigenicly (SP?) (female clones of the parent mothers. Mostly females) and if they turn (more) brownish there is less O2 and they will start to develop more males and the females will develop resting eggs the fall to the bottom of the water and sit there until conditions are better and start the cycle all over again.

So if you see them swimming around and they have little dark dots on them and then all of a sudden they're gone. Just leave the setup as is and wait awhile and they will probably come back.

If you can find Moina (Another, smaller type of daphnia) starter culture they might be better because adult Moina are just a little bigger then newly hatched brine shrimp and easily munched on by aquadic CPs.

Dan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ] If they have a reddish color, there's plenty of O2 in the water and they'll be breeding parthanigenicly (SP?)
    singular is parthenogenesis... and apparently that would be parthenogenetically which if you ask me doesn't make sense since genesis and genetically are two totally different things...
    growing algae with them will keep them happy because the algae produces O2.
    by the way... I know nobody said they were but algae are NOT plants!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast