What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Very very unusual behaviour

Hi everyone,
We all know what they say about U.sandersonii 'Blue Flower'
It grows slowly
Its difficult to flower
Not as vigorous as the normal form

Well not in this case
Let me explain...
For Christmas, I got a U.sadersonii 'Blue Flower'
It didnt have that many leaves and there was a fair amount of moss in the pot.
I placed it on my east facing windowsill, and sat it in a rainwater tray. Very quickly, I noticed new leaves were growing.
After a few weeks, a rather large number of new leaves had grown and after 1 and 1/2 months over 65% of the leaves the plant had were leaves it grew since I recieved it.
In the weeks that followed it grew more and more and more leaves..........it neevr seemed to stop.
Then I went to Switzerland.
When I came back, I noticed a dozen spikes on the plant, perhaps more even.
But then I started to have doubts if it was REALLY sandersonii 'Blue Flower', I thought it might be the normal U.sandersonii as I never heard of anybody experiencing anything like this on a blue flowered form.
But today, my doubts are gone.
It IS sanderosnii 'Blue Flower', one of the buds has opened today and the flowers are a lovely shade of blue.
The spikes are also rather short.
Now, over 90% of its leaves have been grown since I recieved it, and there are between 16-20 flower spikes busily growing on the plant.

I just wanted to tell you all this as I have never heard behaviour and vigorous growth like this in U.sandersonii 'Blue Flower' in my 1 and 1/2 years of CPing.
Dino

I forgot to add it has smothered ALL the moss in its pot and is currently smothering the invasive D.capensis seedlings

wow. Wish I had that plant. Or any Utric that flowered would be nice besides clestogamous U. subulata

Starman, that has been my experiance with U. sandersonii "blue". apperently there is some minor difference in how i grow it versus most as it is as big a weed as the typical form for me. the only difference is that the blue form only has about 12 flowers per pot versus the around 100 for a similar sized pot of each.

really?
all the other people Ive spoken to about it said its hard to flower and grows slowly and isnt as vigorous as the typical form........thats why Im so surprised lol

Back