Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bird bath pest control

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used the puck things before, them seem to work and seem to be harmless but I just thought it would be cool to use and utric, and I'd be certain there was no health risk.
    Im a terible speeler, but I are collage stodint.
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent
    Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent
    Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
    Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" -Epicuris

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mosquito dunks aren't a poison, but contain a bacteria that kills specific organisms. In this case mosquito larva. There are also strains that kill other insect pests. The bacteria are naturally occuring in nature and as I said are specific to different insects. ie. mosquito dunks won't kill birds or lawn grubs. Lawn grubs require a different strain of bacillus thurengensis (sp?).
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Mosquito dunks aren't a poison, but contain a bacteria that kills specific organisms. In this case mosquito larva.
    Very close to the point of almost hair splitting.

BTI = Bacillus thuringiensis subspecies israaelenses

It is actually the toxins that are produced by the bacterium that do in some types of mosquito larva (mostly Aedes species which are our bane). This toxin is termed delta-endotoxin. It will also work quite effectively against fungus gnat larva.

No toxicity to fish, birds, non-target invertebrates, pets, wildlife, people, or plants.

I find integrated pest management to be very exciting. For anyone interested. check this link,
    http://www.nal.usda.gov/bic/BTTOX/bttoxin.htm

Tre, no problems with Utrics to the best of my knowledge. They would be deemed a plant. I will use them in the pond that I am transferring aquatic Utrics to.

Quote[/b] ]Hey Laura can you use mosquito dunks in Utric ponds? Actually the pond is connected to the bog so will they damage any CPs?
    Not the time or the place but if your sphagnum peat bog is really connected to your pond, you are going to have difficulty stabilizing your water and you can probably kiss clarity good bye. You will have some of the wildest KH and pH fluctuations you have ever seen and additionally, you will most probably have problems with string algae capable of out competing your Utrics as well as numerous other issues. Do you really have a sphagnum peat bog connected to a pond? What kind of mechanical and bio filtration are you using? I don't know of any filtration that exists out there capable of encouraging a suitable habitat for nitrifying bacteria that is vital to pond health for that type of a set up.

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that link Laura. I was going off a ten year+ memory of an article I had read that said something to the affect of the bacteria creating a crystal in the gut of the target insect. The crystals lacerated the gut allowing bacteria to get into the body of the bug and eventually kill it. Close to what the one article said.
    Quote[/b] ]When ingested by a susceptible insect, the protein toxin damages the gut lining, leading to gut paralysis. Affected insects stop feeding and die from the combined effects of starvation and tissue damage.
    I don't recall the article refering to it as a toxin just as a protein crystal. Thus my thinking that it wasn't a "poison".

Of the articles I looked at on your link page (I checked the first 6 links), I think this one would be easiest to follow for most of the younger members. Biological Control: A Guide to Natural Enemies in North America
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, you have a very good memory! The crystals lacerating the gut was probably an analogy.

"Once it has been solubilised in the insect gut, the protoxin is cleaved by a gut protease to produce an active toxin of about 60kD. This toxin is termed delta-endotoxin. It binds to the midgut epithelial cells, creating pores in the cell membranes and leading to equilibration of ions. As a result, the gut is rapidly immobilised, the epithelial cells lyse, the larva stops feeding, and the gut pH is lowered by equilibration with the blood pH. This lower pH enables the bacterial spores to germinate, and the bacterium can then invade the host, causing a lethal septicaemia."

Jim Deacon
    Institute of Cell and Molecular Biology
    The University of Edinburgh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ouch. what a horrible way to die.
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, Jim Deacon has such a way with words doesn't he? Here's to mosquito larva death by BTI! May all of our water features be sufficiently stocked with it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12