Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bird bath pest control

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

West Nile has just reached my town, so far just the birds. We have a bird bath that is usually very stagnant, the perfect spot for mosquito larvae. My question is, is there a good utric that could survive in a bird bath. I have a U. Subulata and I think my climate isn't an issue. The most important issue is water, can utrics survive in tap water? Also trap size, mosquito larvae are probably a bit too large for most utrics. And finally growing space, it would need to be an aquatic, but the bird bath is an average sized bird bath. From The SG I found U. humboldtii.

Thanks, Chris
    Im a terible speeler, but I are collage stodint.
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent
    Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent
    Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
    Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" -Epicuris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my opinion, I don't this this would be a viable option: the bladderworts probably won't grow in tap water and even if they did, they won't eat enough of the larvae. I think you would be better off to empty and fill the birdbath everyday so the mosquitoes don't get any time to grow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh no, I just had an accident over here this very morning and I could see it happening to somebody else. We had very heavy thunderstorms. I had several glass bowls of rain water on my patio that I had aquatic Utrics in. The rains came down from the heavens and my bowls started overflowing and when I looked outside, it didn't even register at first that the contents were flushing out. I had aquatic Utrics all over the patio and some of them were very small pieces.

There does exist a very viable option that is not harmful to you or the birds. A new biological control agent was released a few years ago that is not even harmful to aquatic plants. I use mosquito dunks in all of my ponds and water features. I am relatively sure these can be picked up at Menards or Home Depot although I buy them at a garden center. I have been using them ever since they were introduced. All data suggests BTI to be safe and I have no dead birds on the ground and my aquatic plants are perfectly fine. I use this in my large birdbath that I am continually adding water to due to evaporation but I must admit I just tip the other bird baths over to empty them and refill them. Aside from that, birds like fresh water.

http://www.marchbiological.com/L/mosquito_control.html

See what you think of this product.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or maybe put some guppies in there?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah the idea was more of just something I thought might be cool, something novel, but oh well didn't think it was too likely they could handle regular water.
    Im a terible speeler, but I are collage stodint.
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent
    Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent
    Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
    Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" -Epicuris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Laura can you use mosquito dunks in Utric ponds? Actually the pond is connected to the bog so will they damage any CPs?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hear that spraying PAM cooking spray will prevent mosquito larvae from breathing. Though, I'm not sure the birdies will enjoy it. Would it be a possibility to put a mini fountain in the bird bath? That would stop the larvae as well. I don't know if birds will bathe if the water is moving.
    A flytrap ate my homework!
    -Michelle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no PAM. If they drink it it could make them sick, and if they take a bath in it it will mess up their feathers and they won't be able to fly or something.
    I wouldn't put poison or anything there either.
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast