What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Genlisea violacea x lobata

I acquired a genlisea violacea x lobata two weeks ago and, unfortunately, it has turned into one of my failures.

The plant arrived prepotted in a ~2" cubed plastic container in what I assume is the correct medium. I placed the pot into distilled water and let the plant rehydrate for a couple of hours. Afterwards, I put it into a 10gal terrarium and stood it in a plastic saucer with distilled water so that approximately 1/2 of the pot was submerged (other conditions: ~8" under 46W fluoros, 12h photoperiod, 80F temperature, air circulation provided by CPU fan, 70% humidity).

The plant appeared healthy for a couple of days, then slowly declined until three weeks later (now), there are only 2 visible leaves at the surface (all the others browned then turned to mush).

I haven't moved the plant to one of my other terraria because past experience shows that moving a CP when its already stressed seems to kill it faster! But, I don't want to keep it in a state where it's surviving on two leaves.....once those go, it seems to me the whole plant would be dead.

Any suggestions? I heard these are easy plants to grow, so I must have done something wrong, though I can't guess as to what.

Thanks for your time.

how much water are you giving it? Thtourhg spring, summer and early autumn they love it when they are almost completely underwater, mine wasnt doing so well untill I flooded it right up to therim of the pot, now its thriving

I didn't give it that much (pot only half submerged). I'll do as you suggested and submerge it to the brim--it's worth a try.

Thanks.
smile.gif

Hey guys,

Neither G.violacea nor G.lobata is an aquatic species!! Just because some people submerge the pots in order to see the traps doesn;t mean this is ideal for these species. Most grow in sandy soil, patches of humid moss, or in cracks on rocks. I'd suggest putting it on the drier side, with soil only humid, or else it will rot for sure!

Good luck,
Fernando Rivadavia

Sounds like the group (and available literature) is bipolar when it comes to watering Genlisea! Perhaps I should buy a couple more and test the two watering techniques. Or, perhaps, each technique's appropriateness is dictated by the other environmental conditions a particular grower's plants are subjected to.

In any case, this discussion raises an interesting question and potential poll topic--namely, to submerge or not to submerge?

In any case, thanks you all for your replies.

My G. lobata was in an undrained pot were it did well for some time and then was doing so so. I repotted it into a drained pot and it seems to be coming around and looking much better then it was.

I put mine in an undrained pot in live lfs. I water up to the soil level about once a week. I pour it out from time to time to refresh the water, though. Mine are booming.

Capslock

[b said:
Quote[/b] (chloroplast @ May 25 2005,10:26)]Sounds like the group (and available literature) is bipolar when it comes to watering Genlisea!  Perhaps I should buy a couple more and test the two watering techniques.  Or, perhaps, each technique's appropriateness is dictated by the other environmental conditions a particular grower's plants are subjected to.  

In any case, this discussion raises an interesting question and potential poll topic--namely, to submerge or not to submerge?

In any case, thanks you all for your replies.
mine was on the brink of death untill I raised the water level......now its thriving.
I know they arnt aquatic plants, but I dont completely submerge them underwater...........and some wild Genlisea pictures you posted were almost comletely underwater

the Genlisea i grow in the tray along side my terrestrial Utrics are growing like weeds. when i put them anywhere else they do poorly. not sure why

BTW I also think that seasons have something to do with it.......they seem to love being flooded in late spring, summer and early autumn but they dont really like it in winter

Remember that G.violacea and G.lobata are annuals in the wild, so usually they are not around in the dry season. Often theya re submerged in the wet season, but it is not normal.

Other species love being underwater, like G.sp."giant violacea", G.aurea, G.repens, G.guianensis, and G.sanariapoana.

Last of all remember, that even when underwater, it is usually running cool spring water, which is VERY different from sitting a pot in warm water... (although a few years ago I was at a really hot region of W Brazil, on a very hot day, wading at a seepage wher ethe water collected into a a stream which must have been around 40C, and it was full of Drosera, Utrics and Genlisea which seemed not to mind the temperature!)

See ya,
Fernando Rivadavia

I grow G. violacea 'Giant' in pure LFS in a terrarium with many terr. Utrics and Drosera. The water level is about midway up the LFS. I am not sure the traps go all the way to the bottom though.

Thank you all for the input.....it's been helpful. With luck, the genlisea will be growing like weeds in a few months.

Back