What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utrics with pretty flowers

I am looking for suggestions for my next Utrics.

I'd like something that flowers easily (like U. livida or U. sandersonii), even under artificial light, spreads fairly quickly. Bonus points if it's less common in cultivation.

What are your suggestions?

sure complicate things. spreads fast and flowers easily, you have already got most of the basis covered on that one. however i would like to turn your attention to three with awesome flowers that will take some time and maybe a lil headache.

U. amethystina: very pretty flowers easy to grow but doesnt spread all that fast. frustrating in that it likes to abort its flower spikes but when it finally flowers it will be well worth it. i havent flowered it yet.

U. asplundii, a royal head ache, a true epiphyte but by far the easiest to find of the epiphytic bunch. its frustrating in that you never know if its happy. ive got few lolons but the last time i unpotted it there was lots of tubers and rolons. havent flowered it yet but hopefully within the next year.

U. paulinae, a fairly recent addition, i think it was discovered in 1996 or 1998. from a dime sized plug it is an EXTREAMLY slow grower till about the time it fills up a 1.5 inch pot then it takes off(took 7 months for it to double in size for me). i have fussed this guy over the last year and its finally really growing well and fairly quick. hopefully once it fills up its current 3 inch pot and starts feeling a bit crowded it will bloom.

these are the three Utrics that once i saw the flowers i had to have them. i havent bloomed any yet nor do i have extras at this point unfortunatly. but as far as some top notch flowers i think they are worth their lil quirks.

to your original question. i would try U. reniformis or U. nephrophylla, they can be pains till you find out how they want to grow for you. either as epiphytes or terrestrials but they arent difficult.

I currently have U. lateriflora (purple flowers) and something called U. sp. 2 (white flowers) blossoming.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ May 24 2005,3:45)]I currently have U. laterifolia (purple flowers) and something called U. sp. 2 (white flowers) blossoming.
U. laterifolia... is that something different than U. lateriflora, or does one of us have the name wrong?

My bad. I Can't speak French and I make too many typos! Yup, lateriflora.

Hi,

If you do not already grwo the following, they might be worth a try.

U. biloba - one of my favorites. The blue flowers are really great! It is a slow grower, but easy to keep. I grow it submerged for nearly the whole year

U. blanchetii - Easy to grow. Flowers nearly all summer for me.

U. bisquamata - there are several forms around. I would go for one of the forms with bigger flowers, for example the 'Betty's Bay' Form.

U. microcalyx - or at least what is spread under this name.

U. dichotoma/U. uniflora - both are easy to keep and flower.

You can find some pictures here:

http://www.utricularia.net/utricularia/uebersicht.htm

Christian

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SarraceniaScott @ May 24 2005,11:03)]I'd like something that flowers easily (like U. livida or U. sandersonii), even under artificial light, spreads fairly quickly.
Flowers easily and spreads quickly can be redefined as invades everything.
Try U. subulata or U. bisquamata.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BobZ @ May 25 2005,12:40)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (SarraceniaScott @ May 24 2005,11:03)]I'd like something that flowers easily (like U. livida or U. sandersonii), even under artificial light, spreads fairly quickly.
Flowers easily and spreads quickly can be redefined as invades everything.
Try U. subulata or U. bisquamata.
U. subulata is way more invasive than U. bisquamata.

Both flower easily outside; inside, U. subulata only produces cleistogamous flowers, and U. bisquamata almost never flowers.

U. blanchettii & U. flaccida are easy to grow and have nice flowers. Plus they are a little less common than the old standards. And U. welwitschii is nice too, with cool twining flowers.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]U. bisquamata almost never flowers.
Are you certain? thats how i just found mine! I never noticed it be4 it flowerd

Back