What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. praelonga

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I have U. praelonga and unlike other terrestrial Utrics, it has two, green parts to its above ground anatomy - the usual oval shaped "leaves" and grass-like "leaves". What do the gasss-like parts do?

I would assume photosynthesize
smile_m_32.gif

You may have another species growing with it. U. bisquamata can seed vey readily
smile_h_32.gif

I did a little investigating and found the grasslike parts are connected. This is ones species with two above ground looks.

Hmm I guess you'll have to wait for a Utric expert to show up

your right, it has two different leaves/lolons. U. humboldtii has two also and apperantly looks quite a bit like U. praelonga. mine grows like a weed but has shown no interest in flowering though.

And to think I was going to write, a half hour ago, "I'm sure Rattler is just around the corner". I knew I shouda written that!

Hey, now the U. calcifyda is sending up spikes, along with tridentata, tricolor, laterflora, and paulinae!

Still can't get the you know what to do anything!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ May 31 2005,11:03)]Still can't get the you know what to do anything!
LMAO!

your getting U. paulinea to flower?!?!?! you lucky SOB ive been waiting for a year and still nothing with this species. GET PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

U. humboldtii grows long thin leaves when young, changing to the normal paddle-shaped ones as it gets odler.

U. praelonga produced both types of leaves at the same time all the way through its life. Round/spatulate ones at ground level and long thin ones up into the air. Grow it in live LFS, stand in water all year long, subject to direct sunlight and allow to get cold (down to freezing) in winter and you ought to get the large yellow flowers in spring-summer.

Cheers.

You are gettin U. tricolor to flower? If it does not abort get flowers and show them on the Utric forum. Some people will be jelous

Hey, I have never noticed anything but the longer leaves on my U. praelonga (which just flowered for me! woohoo!). I should get a picture while it's flowering. I also should have photographed my U. paulinae's ONE flower that I got a couple months ago.

Capslock

Max! Yes you should! The U. paulinae has an unopened bud at the moment. I was giving up on the various spikes that just seemed to want to remain as spikes, but today I saw the U. tridentata with a light purple bud opening up. I wish I had a camera on hand. I just borrow and hope my co-worker will bring it in. It's hit or miss with me.

I think U.sandersonii will be my vendetta. Right, Sheridan?
biggrin.gif

well Jim your going to flower two species ive had for over a year and never showed a sign of flowering. congrats man, now i envy you.

oh and give your sandersonii time it will bloom sooner or later
smile_n_32.gif

OK, I got a pic of my U. praelonga. Here it is, with it's one yellow flower. It's pretty ragged, but it lives outdoors year round, and has a lot of good spring growth.

Oh, and yes, some pygmy dews are in there like they are everywhere in my outdoor collection.

U_praelonga.sized.jpg

Capslock

Are you sure that that isn't some stray invader in your pot of U. praelonga? My plant makes far bigger flowers on a much taller stem, and the flower shape looks wrong...

utricpraelonga1.gif

utricpraelonga2.gif

Cheers.

Yeah, it must be a stray or something, although no other leaves are visible in the pot (just moss and drosera). I saw the yellow flower and figured it had flowered, but yours is clearly different. Hmmmm. Your stolons are also much longer.

Capslock

I would say you have U. praelonga growing in your pot Max. The difference in the tall narrow leaf length is probably just a cultural thing. The plant in flower however is not that species. Looks like there are some tiny dried seed pods in there also. Will venture a guess that the yellow flower is U. subulata.. which can be quite nice when it does indeed produce a normal flower.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rob-Rah @ May 31 2005,5:26)]U. humboldtii grows long thin leaves when young, changing to the normal paddle-shaped ones as it gets odler.

U. praelonga produced both types of leaves at the same time all the way through its life. Round/spatulate ones at ground level and long thin ones up into the air. Grow it in live LFS, stand in water all year long, subject to direct sunlight and allow to get cold (down to freezing) in winter and you ought to get the large yellow flowers in spring-summer.

Cheers.
Thanks, Rob!

Upon further inspection, unless it's my imagination, the longer leaves seem to be divided up into those that are longer and skinnier, (as if they were flower stalks) and ones that are a little shorter and a little wider. Is it possible that the longer, skinnier ones are flower stalks?

The flower spikes have clear clusters of buds at their tops from quite early on....

Thanks, Rob. I was hoping.... Just my imagination... running away with me...

Back