What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A general utric seed question

if i "rub" seeds out of a dried up flower is there a good chance that it is fertile?

i dont allow my U. lateriflora and bisquamata and other potential weed species to develop seed pods but with species im not sure of and that i really like their flowers i allow them to form some pods to see if i can get seeds to sow back into their pots and help them spread faster. since i havent been putting the seed in its own pot i honestly have no clue if it is working. last night i checked a older U. welwitschii flower that had dried up and i got a handful(figurativly speaking) of lil tannish seeds. for the heck of it this time i threw them into my N. bical x amp pot to see if they will sprout in the LFS.

anyone have a list of self fertile species?

U. welwitschii appears to be self fertile for me. I regularly cut the flower stems off. There is usually a noticable difference when a seed pod forms from one that dries up without pollination.. They expand quite a bit when fertilized. Another good indication is if the inflorescence remains healthy for a long period after all the flowers have finished blooming. On species that don't self pollinate the inflorescences appear to dry up quickly once the last flower fades.

Back