What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. macrorhiza in montana

Greetings,

This is my first time posting pictures.  If they are too large, ban me forever.

Last Saturday I went hiking in the mountains and found my first native CP--U. macrorhiza.  I took a few pictures.

The first pic is a general view of the habitat.
uhabitat1.jpg

I found a very large colony growing in a shallow acidic pond
uhabitat2.jpg

The plants seemed most abundant in water that had pieces of dead cattail leaves on the surface.  Some of the bladderworts floated on the surface, while others snaked along the bottom of the pond.
uhabitat3.jpg

A picture of a small plant.  Some of the larger ones were 3-4 feet long.
ucloseup1.jpg

A group of small plants. Note the shadows of trapped prey in the bladders of the bottom plant. 
ucloseup2.jpg

I'm hoping the plants will flower this summer, so I can get a some more photos.

Brian

Thank you for providing the pics! *compares pics with personal collection*

Very nice photos!  Thanks so much for taking the time to post them.

Hey Brian, beautiful country and geat pics, im headed to Dillon for press convention this weekend and cant wait to get back over in the mountains. ill get your sandersonii in the mail before i head out, life has just been hectic the last few weeks.

Hey Rattler!  That's right!  You are now a married man and the wedding is behind you!  Congratulations to you and your family!

TY Laura, wedding went well but other things came up and have thrown me for a whirl, making it hard to keep up with shipping plants.

Rattler, you are always so conscientious about shipping. Here's hoping the whirlwind over there subsides soon. Again, congratulations to you and Darla and the girls. They couldn't have gotten a nicer Daddy. I love happy endings.

Greetings,

Bobz,

I've seen that website before and the place in Oregon looks exactly like the spot in Montana. It seems like most of the CP habitats in the temperate zones look similar.  There's also another bladderwort that grows in the same pond.  I believe that it is U. intermedia.  It is an affixed aquatic--the stolons float on the surface, while the rest of the plant (including the bladders) are anchored in the soil that lies on the bottom of the pond.  I'm hoping both species will flower this summer.  I also found some sphagnum bogs in the higher elevations that look promising, but it's still too cold.  I believe sundews grow in them.

Laura and rattler,

Stop hijacking my thread!--just kidding.  You can ship the U. sandersonii whenever you have the time.  I'm in no hurry.  If you are ever in the area, drop me an email and I'll show you the place. I charge 1 U. sandersonii plug for the econo-tour.  Basically, we drive down the road and I point in the general direction where the bladderworts grow. I charge 2 U. sandersonii plugs for the delux tour.

Brian, you should find d. rotundifolia there, and if you are really fortunate, you may be lucky enough to find, d. anglica. Used to find round leaved sundews all the time in the Glacier National Park.

Oh no! My hands have been cyber slapped!  Oh no!  Rattler, your hands got cyber slapped too. Will we ever survive this cyber abuse ;)

Biran- post more photos or me and Rattler are gonna gang up on you and cyber slap your hands for withholding goods which is a far worse offense than hijacking threads!  

PSSSST Rattler don't let Biran see I'm off topic again but... e-mail me a wedding photo!  Use the WildLifeGardener address.

Back