Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Utricular stygia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sedge litter is decomposing carex leaves (bullrushes). Hard to find it really, but probably not essential (it just helps avoid algae and releases chemicals that the Aldrovanda particularly likes). Daphnia can be had from most fish shops.
    Rob Howe.

Homepage
    http://www.ukorchidforum.com
    CP growlist

Seeking: Drosera hilaris (seed)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I have an idea where I can get daphnia now. I'm going to go out and buy a special tray for it and get some kind of sand to use as well as some more sphagnum peat moss. How do you get the water into the tray without all of the peat and sand from floating around in the water And most importantly, how do I get rid of the algae I already have? Like I said before, I put an old beach towel over it and it blocks out more than half of the sunlight. I'm hoping the lack of sunlight will kill the algae and NOT the utric. I just wish there was a better way to get rid of the algae. I have trouble getting out of the house to get supplies because everything is sooo far away and my mom doesn't have any time to drive me anywhere. Grrr....I'll think of something...
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Algae is discouraged by having things that eat it (eg. snails and daphnia), by removing the nutrients from the water, and by acidifying the water sufficiently. Darkness will also inhibit it, but the utric won't do so well then (though it won't die in shade). What you want are some companion plants which extract the nutrients, some decomposing material releasing CO2 and other acids, acdifying the water, and a healthy microfauna going on. This all ought to work in equilibrium and prevent algae getting a hold (though there will always be a little bit in a healthy system, but never at a level to be a worry). I prefer to set up a tank in advance and leave it a week or so to try to stabilise before I add the aquatic plants.

As for removing the algae you already have. Chuck all the water away. Boil new water with peat, strain it, and use that as a replacement. Wash the plants before replacing in the tank.

Layer the peat underneath sharp sand. Pour the water in very gently. You will stir up a little stuff. It will probably take a couple of days for the water to clear up again, and then you can add the plants.
    Rob Howe.

Homepage
    http://www.ukorchidforum.com
    CP growlist

Seeking: Drosera hilaris (seed)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I just mowed the lawn so now my mom owes me another 20 dollars! So I have some money to spend! Ok, so I need, a big tray, more sphagnum, sharp sand, snails, daphnia, some kind of companian plant..what kinds of companion plant should I get? And how big of a tray do I need? I'm thinking of making this tray my main aquatic CP/utric tray so I think it should be pretty big. I'm just hoping the place I plan to go to has what I need. It IS called "That Fish Place" after all so I think that sounds pretty good. Though I've never really looked for daphnia there before...I make a habit of looking at EVERY SINGLE fish everytime I go.

Also, about washing off the plant, it's really kind of small and I feel like if I try to manually clean it I might like...squish it. Any ideas on how I can wash it without squishing it?
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Rob-Rah @ June 14 2005,12:26)]Sedge litter is decomposing carex leaves (bullrushes). Hard to find it really, but probably not essential (it just helps avoid algae and releases chemicals that the Aldrovanda particularly likes). Daphnia can be had from most fish shops.
    Can pond water or stream water be used for aquatic Utric nutrition?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About an hour ago I went and uncovered the big fish bowl and it looks bad. It's still green but it's REALLY dark green. I think you would call it "forest green". But it's really bad looking. I dunno if that is just the color of the dead algae or the color...of a dead utric. I dunno what do you guys think?
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12