Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Utricular stygia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

My one and only utric that I have is an Utricularia Stygia that I have in a glass jar outside on my little grow table. It gets full sun for all day until about 5 PM and at first it was growing really fast which was what I had heard from other people that grew this utric. I had suspected it to be AT LEAST 6 inches by now but it seems to have stopped in its' tracks at probably less than one inch. It's still green but it looks like it might have algae on it. There are little bugs and such stuck to it as well. It went through a semi-brief cold period because mother nature won't make up her mind for this summer!

I was just wondering what I could do to get it growing again. Should I put it in the dark for a while to get rid of the algae that is on it. I really can't tell if there really is algae on it because it's the same color, I just noticed that I can't see as much detail of the, for lack of a better word, leaves. What I'm thinking of doing is putting it in the dark for a week or two and then changing the water, I thought I'd get a second opinion about this first, concidering this is my first aquatic utric.

Current Conditions;
    Sun: Full, 12+ hours.
    Temp: 70+
    Humidity: 100% (Well it IS in water..."
    Medium: Water in 1 quart glass jar.
    Lifetime: Approximately 3 months.
    Grown from: Turion

That enough info? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Edit: Grrrr, I mispelled the topic. >< I can't change it either.
    Growlist
    I'm back?

United Kingdom (Bristol, England) I am orriginnally from Mostar, Bosnia(one of the countries of former yugoslavia)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    U.stygia is a large species and it likes to have a LOT of room to grow(and they get very large) if they dont have enough room, they tend to sulk and stop growing

you really need a pond for that Utric, a glass jar is nowhere near enough room for it
    I dont think anything will work untill you let it have a lot of room in a pond or something
    Carnivorous plants growlist:http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17597
    Onda je sultan pao mrtav do kostura

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kyle, I also have mine outside. I have it in a dark, shallow plastic tray. I may not have experienced the explosive growth that some have posted, but mine is now about 6". I empty the tray as algae build and replace it with rainwater. This is my first year with the aquatic Utrics, so I am learning, just as you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's less than an inch in size so I figured a 1 quart jar would be plenty of room for it until I could get a better home for it. I'll start looking for a tray or something. Shade is kind of rare around my house because of the lack of trees. I think I have a good idea of where I can put it. Do they like to float on the surface or be completely submerged? Mine sunk to the bottom of the jar. I'm gonna go find a tray right now and set up a shade table on my deck. Thanks for the help guys! I'll tell you if anything happens.
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stygia sends stolons down to anchor to the substrate, but also floats free. Hence water depth of not more than 12" is rcommended, plus a nice thick layer of something to anchor to on the bottom.
    Rob Howe.

Homepage
    http://www.ukorchidforum.com
    CP growlist

Seeking: Drosera hilaris (seed)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It needs an anchor? Hmmm...well I tried to put sphagnum moss in the water the first time but the moss never settled down to the bottom so it just floated in the water and made it murky and blocked the sunlight so I dumped it out. I just now put it in a HUGE fish bowl. I think it's like 3 gallons. I figure that is plenty big enough for now. Do you think that long fibered sphagnum would sink to the bottom and anchor it?

I think the biggest reason that it stopped growing was due to algae which I'm trying to get rid of right now. I put an old beach towel over the bowl so not much sunlight gets in. It's not completely dark and I can easily see underneath it. Do you think that will be dark enough to kill the algae? I'd say it's about half the sunlight that it got before. If I had an extra cardboard box I could use that...or a black trash bag..I only have white ones right now...
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use full sun (UK) with a little shade after midday. LFS does float usually, so is not suitable.

Quoted from a CPUK post I made last year...

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]A number of people who had some of this off me have asked for growing tips. Mine's doing exceedingly well and has filled its container, which it shares with Aldrovanda - also doing stupendously well for me under these conditions. My method is almost the same as for other aquatic utrics except the depth of water and the substrate.

It's in a household, opaque, plastic storage box, 18" long, 12" wide and 8" deep. On the base is 2" of peat overlaid with a thin layer of sharp sand. Then on top of this is a 2" layer of sedge litter, which was boiled in two changes of water before use. The water depth is therefore clear for only 4". The water is rainwater in which peat was boiled and then strained out.

The plant gets bright light and air temps up to 32C. Planted in the same container in 5" square mesh pots standing on the peat are typha minima and carex panicea, and a small water hyacinth floats on the top. A number of small water snails graze in the tub, and it gets a bag of fresh daphnia every month or so (the Aldrovanda and utric gobble most of them up quickly!) to assist against algae. Once the tank stabilised against algae (which occurs as the utrics and aldrovanda start out-competing it), then it ceases to be a problem.

As many people who have had some from me will have found out, the plant is terribly interesting in that it forms two different types of stolons. One is leafy and surface-dwelling. Then it also produces trap stolons which only have traps. These plunge downwards into the sedge litter and peat. My plant is virtually an affixed aquatic with the multitude of trap stolons anchoring it to the bottom. It really is not free-floating at all.

I started with five turions last year. They were placed into an icecream tub of water, with no substrate, to overwinter in the greenhouse (min 2C - though the turions can take it down to below freezing under the ice in the wild). In spring all but one died. This one experimented with bottom-dwelling, trying to anchor itself to something, before floating to the top and being generally weedy. Since I placed it into this new tank setup it has exploded in growth.

In view of this I think it terribly important to provide this thick layer of substrate at the bottom.
    Mine is flowering this year, and I have well over a hundred plants crammed into that container now (though each one is itself of small stature). The branching and turion production makes for rapid multiplication. Be warned!

Good luck.
    Rob Howe.

Homepage
    http://www.ukorchidforum.com
    CP growlist

Seeking: Drosera hilaris (seed)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, that's a lot of information...I don't have the appropriate materials though. I have some sand but it's concrete sand and it's dirty so I can't use that. It's really hard to find that stuff. I don't even know what sedge litter is and I really don't know where to get daphnia.
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast