What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. nelumbifolia

i have had this species for a few months, and was wondering how everyone is growing thiers. mine i growing in a 3.5 by3.5 by 1.5 inch deep pot about half full of LFS sitting in my Utric tray and seems to love it. last night i noticed an adventurous stolon coming out of the tray beside the pot which made me pull the whole pot out of the tray. sure enough out of one dranage hole was a huge mass of traps and one stolon. it would almost appear that it would be quite happy growing as a shallow affixed aquatic. ill get pics of it at some point this week and post them. it looks quite cool. anyways how is everyone else growing theirs?

I grow mine similarly to yours. I found that it never liked my set up of growing it in peat and LFS. Now I grow it in a small pot with 2 in of LFS and the rest is water. It seems to prefer being submerged.

Cole

heres a pic of it coming out of its pot

12f3454e.jpg

I grow mine in a 12" basket of perlite overlaid with LFS in the water tray. The stolons go everywhere and invade other plants as well as the water tray.

well, its not a utric but my mimosa pudica grew its roots out of the pot and now they stretch over a lot of the terrerium. It happened while I was on vacation. Now I'm afraid that if I try to repot it. I'll kill it by tearing the roots.

Mine is thriving in peat soup with a little live LFS on top. One way to get good growth is to give this species a lot of room to run: either a BIG pot or by regular division.

alot of growers have told me they have had good luck with waterlogged LFS so thats whaim using. i placed its original 3 inch pot inside one of those larger Gladware containers full of more water logged LFS rather than try to unpot it. it now has a larger pot than most of my Nepenthes, in fact it and U. reniformis both have larger pots than most of my large Neps, theres something wrong with that
smile_m_32.gif

Back