What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Genlisea propogation

seedjar

Let's positive thinking!
So the title pretty much says it all... my G. hispidula is blooming (thanks again Bob!) and I'm wondering if I should expect seed or just chop it when the stalks get bare. Also, how hard are they from seed, and how long does the seed last?
Thanks guys,
~Joe

i *THINK* G. hispidula is an annual species so i would think you could probably get the seed to last atleast a year. im not sure if its self fertile though. ive got the species, also from BobZ, and its blooming at the moment too.

I'm growing this plant and it is perrenial and self fertile. Mine is also forming a plantlet on the flower stalk.

Glenn

ok it must be G. violacea and G. lobata that are the annuals than, sorry for the screw up

My G. hispidula is self-fertile. The flower will form a green seed capsule that will turn brown as it ripens. If left alone, the capsule will split and seed will be released. It looks and acts similar to a P. lusitanica seed capsules. I usually collect the capsules when they are ready to split or just after. The seeds are small blackish specks. I immediately sprinkle them on fresh media and in a few weeks they sprout into tiny green thingies (technical term) that will continue to develop. In about a year, my seedlings are "mature".

I just rip leaves off the plant, and put in wet peat, with humidity done. They form new plantlets very easily.

Sounds good. Thanks guys!
~Joe

Elgecko has a great set up for Genlisea, that allows for viewing of the traps.

Back