What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utric identification

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
What has blade of grass-like "leaves" that are ~1/4" long and what has the same, only ~1/2" long? I had U. bisquamata flowering and possibly spreading last year and it kinda fizzled out into nothing during the winter. I have several pots with the 1/4" leaves in them.

I also received a pinch of grass blades that came in as U. sandersonni blue - but they didn't have that ovoid "leaf" shape as does straight up sandersonii and another pinch I had. This, too, is sending up stalks.

blade like grass leaves about 1/4 inch long? sounds a bit like U. odorata. not sure Jim. about the only things i have with leaves that i would compare to grass is U. odorata and U. praelonga

Hmmm.... I have praelonga and that's a significantly different plant. I've never had an oderata. I'm suspicious of subulata, because someone once warned me that it I probably have it and don't know it, just because it gets into everything.

could be. as soon as i can gather up the Utrics i owe you for some of your lil greenhouse thingys you will have U. odorata to compare to them as i figured i would send that one to you.

Okay, the one with the 1/4" leaves is now blooming and its flower is light purple. So I guess that rules out bisquamata & subulata?

light prple? doesnt really narrow it down although it definatly rules out U. odorata. 1/3 of the Utrics that flower for me are some shade of purple, 1/3 are yellow and the other third is everything else

Doesn't U. bisquamata have some purple?

Is it in full bloom and is all purple?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Gawd_oOo @ July 13 2005,6:29)]Doesn't U. bisquamata have some purple?

Is it in full bloom and is all purple?
U_bisquamata-lg.jpg

Okay, the one with the larger leaves is bisquamata. Thanks. Anyone have a picture of subulata leaves. I think the one with smaller, thinner leaves is that.

Um, I have a dial up connection. I will peruse those pics when I am at work, with that broadband thing they have. Thanks for the link!

Back