What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utricularia vulgaris

Ok, I have the chance to get as much Utricularia vulgaris as I could want.
I don't have any aquatics, and wouldn't know anything about keeping or caring for it.

What size/type of container would I need?
Do you need to circulate the water at all..

Basically I need a primer on aquatic Utricularia.

I can also send out pretty much as many Utricularia vulgaris as you would like for the cost of shipping.

We are removing water lillies from a pond that is going to be 'nuked' the DNR gave the company I work for the chance to come in and take as much of the plants as we wanted and could before they drain it off to do something to it. Well while pulling lilles I noticed all these small yellow flowers poking up betwen the lillies and water-shields. The first one I grabbed had tons of small white traps on it. Most of the others I looked at only a had a few. I'll be back on this pond/lake wednesday or thursday. I'll need to know before then, I don't know if we will get back to it before it is poisoned after this week.

here

"I can also send out pretty much as many Utricularia vulgaris as you would like for the cost of shipping."
is that an offer? hope so! i'd LOVE some! i've been looking for aquatics for awhile

Thanx.. So I can just toss them in my fish tank? That seems to easy.
smile_m_32.gif

sure if it's the right ph and all that.

I grow U. macrorhiza (vulgaris) in a big metal livestock watering container. They grow very fast and every year I get more. I think the bigger the container the better. In the fall they will form truions (sp?) which you can overwinter somewhere cold indoors like the fridge or a cool part of the garage, then just move back outdoors in the spring. They are easy to grow.

Good Luck.

Glenn

I grew mine well in a 5 gallon white plastic pail. They need a bit of room.

In Savage Garden it says that vulgaris needs something as big as a kiddy pool. That's what I'm doing to do, my aunt had one from when she had a baby duck so that's what I'm gonna use.

Actually...I could just put them in my pool probably. It's more or less a pond now since it hasn't been running in 2 years. x.x I miss it so much... Nah, I won't put them in my pool, though there's probably daphnia in the pool, I'll take some water from it and put it in the kiddy pool. I hope that doesn't draw a lot of algae though..... hmm...

I wouldnt put it in your fish tank, because fish like having water Utrics for their dinner.....

Back