Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Alternative feeding

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    does anyone know any alternative feedings for utricularia other than the pond water thing, i have heard that baby sea monkeys can tollerate low sodium and there young are the perfect size.
    Mens Et Manus

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ferts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what kind of Utrics? with terrestrials as long as the soil isnt completly submerged you will have fungus gnat larva weither you like it or not. i dont do anything to feed mine and they grow just fine. i dont have aquatic species though
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have my aquatics in the plastic containers I use to collect rainwater. Fortunately or unfortunately, it also has mosquito larvae. Not sure if the are too big for the aquatics, though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    misquito larve start from eggs layed on the surface of the water and they hatch into extremely small larva, smaller than daphnia,
    they are only in the eddible size for a couple of days, correct me if im wrong.
    terrestrials are fed by possible fungus gnats larva
    Mens Et Manus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I foliar feed my terrestrials once per month with half-strength orchid fertilizer. I do not fertilize my aquatic CPs because this will induce serious algal blooms (from experience).

I'd also be interested in someone posting an alternate to pond water for feeding aquatics such as aldrovanda or u.gibba. I live in an urban area and local ponds are likely filled with runoff and other pollutants toxic to CPs. My local petstores don't sell daphnia or other tiny aquatic creatures. As stated, I can't fertilize due to algae problems. Nonliving substances such as fish flakes and the like promote fungus and I don't think they're capable of triggering trap or bladder closure. I, too, am hard-pressed to think of other options.

I second 7santiago's question: IS THERE ANY OTHER WAY TO FEED AQUATICS!

Any and all feedback would be appreciated.
    Secretary, New England Carnivorous Plant Society (NECPS) http://www.necps.org/
    Member, International Carnivorous Plant Society (ICPS)
    Member, North American Sarracenia Conservancy (NASC)
    Member, The Carnivorous Plant Society (CPS)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buy some daphnia from a fish store. Use an eye dropper to collect them individually with as little water as possible (serial pipetting works well here, i.e. suck up one with a full dropper of water and then expell it into a small contianer and then suck it up again with only as much water as it takes to catch the daphnia. Repeat until you basically only have the daphnia.) Then just drop them into the aquatic tank
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]I live in an urban area and local ponds are likely filled with runoff and other pollutants toxic to CPs. My local petstores don't sell daphnia or other tiny aquatic creatures. As stated, I can't fertilize due to algae problems.
    Why don't you have special jars for them? Just get a big jar, add pond water and vegetation around the pond, maybe some mud, put some fertilizer in it, leave it in a well lit spot for a couple of weeks, and you'll have ostracods, maybe daphnia, copepods, etc.
    http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag....ml?http
    Once I managed to get free swimming algae and i managed to isolate the daphnia, it was a piece of cake culturing them. I didn't really care, so now I don't have a CULTURE (there are still some in my utric jars) anymore, but if I had wanted to I could have kept them probably indefinately.

as for concentrating them, I took a turkey baster and sucked them all up, put them in a smaller jar, covered the turkey baster with a nylon stocking, and gently took the water out. Then I just dumped the concentrated daphnia into wherever I wanted them (I used them to feed my salamander larvae)
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast