What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utrics?

I have a question??!!  In my travels to work every day, I go through lots of countryside that has lots of ponds in/on it.  I have noticed, in the last couple of years, that on these ponds, a lot of little white flowers grow, above a mat of light green stuff.  It's really beautiful. The flower stalks look to be about 4-6 inches above the pond, and are present sping through mid summer.  I have never stopped to look more closely. Could these be utrics?  

Would it be ethical to take a sample? ...whatever it is, is real common around here. and pretty.  April.

probably, but not necissarily. if it has traps, it is.

i dont see why you can't take as much as you want as long as and only if you have permission from the landowner.

How 'bout a close up picture? Can that be done safely?

yeah, picture!!
smile.gif

Well, I think they're mostly done blooming now...and a lot of their ponds have dried up. So, next Spring I will be sure and get pictures. April

I doubt whether it was a Utricularia. As far as I am aware, there is only one white flowering Utricularia species that occurs in the US and that is U. olivacea. I was of the understanding that it had quite tiny flowers on very short scapes, certainly not resembling those that you have described.

Here's a link to an example of this species growing in the wild.

http://www.geocities.com/pitcherplants/Uolivacea.html

Thanks for the info, Seandew. If I see any more of them blooming this year, I will stop and take pictures. The height estimate was made from a car doing anywhere from 40-55 MPH, though. I've never stopped to look at them more closely. April

Could well be something like Water Crowfoot (aquatic buttercups, Ranunculus). I don't know how common they are in the US, but common in Europe.

Giles

Very unlikely that you would find a white flowered native Utricularia in any profusion in the U.S. I have seen some small white aquatic flowers, but they are not Utricularia.

Back