Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Utrics?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a question??!! In my travels to work every day, I go through lots of countryside that has lots of ponds in/on it. I have noticed, in the last couple of years, that on these ponds, a lot of little white flowers grow, above a mat of light green stuff. It's really beautiful. The flower stalks look to be about 4-6 inches above the pond, and are present sping through mid summer. I have never stopped to look more closely. Could these be utrics?

Would it be ethical to take a sample? ...whatever it is, is real common around here. and pretty. April.
    \"People place their hand on the Bible and swear to uphold the Constitution; they don't put their hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible,\" Jamie Raskin, to Senator Nancy Jacobs.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    probably, but not necissarily. if it has traps, it is.

i dont see why you can't take as much as you want as long as and only if you have permission from the landowner.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How 'bout a close up picture? Can that be done safely?

United Kingdom (Bristol, England) I am orriginnally from Mostar, Bosnia(one of the countries of former yugoslavia)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, picture!! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    Carnivorous plants growlist:http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17597
    Onda je sultan pao mrtav do kostura

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I think they're mostly done blooming now...and a lot of their ponds have dried up. So, next Spring I will be sure and get pictures. April
    \"People place their hand on the Bible and swear to uphold the Constitution; they don't put their hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible,\" Jamie Raskin, to Senator Nancy Jacobs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I doubt whether it was a Utricularia. As far as I am aware, there is only one white flowering Utricularia species that occurs in the US and that is U. olivacea. I was of the understanding that it had quite tiny flowers on very short scapes, certainly not resembling those that you have described.

Here's a link to an example of this species growing in the wild.

http://www.geocities.com/pitcherplants/Uolivacea.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info, Seandew. If I see any more of them blooming this year, I will stop and take pictures. The height estimate was made from a car doing anywhere from 40-55 MPH, though. I've never stopped to look at them more closely. April

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could well be something like Water Crowfoot (aquatic buttercups, Ranunculus). I don't know how common they are in the US, but common in Europe.

Giles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast