User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: How long to boil?

United Kingdom (Bristol, England) I am orriginnally from Mostar, Bosnia(one of the countries of former yugoslavia)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Kyle,
    there is no way to get rid of the algae causing stuff either, I dont know how it gets there but it forms in all still and stale water(which is what your utrics home will become very soon after you set it all up)
    Carnivorous plants growlist:http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17597
    Onda je sultan pao mrtav do kostura

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It turns out I had enough distilled water. (I'm really low though.) But yeah it is still water so I need a way to keep algae away. Is there a way to keep algae away? I have no clue. Also, the water is kind of brown and murky. (I didn't think to wash the peat first and it was a lot of peat too.) Will that go away over time?

-(Kyle)-
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yep. same with aquariums. you will always have algea but you need to have enough plants to outcompete it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh... thanks tony
    you can kill algal spores by boiling the water, but it won't prevent more getting in the water after it has cooled enough. That's why I said it might retard the algal growth.
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

United Kingdom (Bristol, England) I am orriginnally from Mostar, Bosnia(one of the countries of former yugoslavia)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (ChronoKiento @ Aug. 15 2005,6:34)]It turns out I had enough distilled water. (I'm really low though.) But yeah it is still water so I need a way to keep algae away. Is there a way to keep algae away? I have no clue. Also, the water is kind of brown and murky. (I didn't think to wash the peat first and it was a lot of peat too.) Will that go away over time?

-(Kyle)-
    Not really, unless you change a water or install a pump that keeps the water circuallating, but those Utrics dont like moving water
    Youll just have to scrape it off, although these Utrics can live with moderate amounts of slage with them(its only really a problem if it starts to dominate the Utrics)

Its normal for the water to be brown and murky, it will settle down in time
    Washing the peat will not prevent this at all, its just tiny particles of peat in the water thats causing the brown, but it will settle dont worry(it can take a few days though)
    Carnivorous plants growlist:http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17597
    Onda je sultan pao mrtav do kostura

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...it looks like coffee.... ARe there any other plants (besides more utrics) that I can get to "overcompete" the algae? Cook's has a lot of cool aquatic plants for cheap. Any suggestions?
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    get some snails, daphnia, ostracods, etc. to eat the algae. having plants to outcompete the algae would be just as bad for the utrics.
    algae aren't plants btw... they're protists
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    really? i had no idea.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast