Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: How long to boil?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I know that algae isn't a plant. I'll have to go to the pet shop and get some snails...and see if they have daphnia. I don't even know if they've ever had daphnia.
    Growlist
    I'm back?

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (ChronoKiento @ Aug. 15 2005,8:02)]Yeah I know that algae isn't a plant. I'll have to go to the pet shop and get some snails...and see if they have daphnia. I don't even know if they've ever had daphnia.
    Algae is a plant. Just a lower form.

Be careful with snails, as some will eat your plants.

There is no problem adding other aquatic plants. They will just use up any extra nutrience so algae will have a less likely chance to start growing.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no, it's not a plant it's a protist. kindgom protista. protista and plantae are two different kingdoms.
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

United Kingdom (Bristol, England) I am orriginnally from Mostar, Bosnia(one of the countries of former yugoslavia)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im not sure about adding life creatures with the Utrics, cos as soon as all the algae is gone they will eat your Utrics

You could get other marsh plants, but Id send Cook an email to double check if they can be grown in peaty soil with Utrics

Alphawolf,
    Actually, yes, it is a plant, its been proven the first and simplest plant on the earth is algae
    Carnivorous plants growlist:http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17597
    Onda je sultan pao mrtav do kostura

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Avoid large snails, small ones won't damage the utrics.

Leave the tank to settle before introducing the utrics. Grains of peat still floating after a few days can be removed with a seive. The water ought to be a dark yellow-brown, but very clear. If you put the utric in there while there is lots of peat floating around then particles of peat will stick to the plant, providing a perfect location for the attraction of algal particles and a rapid colonisation of the plant by algae. You want the plant as clean as possible to remove anywhere for algae to get a grip - as it were...

Use plants to leech nutrients from the water. I use Carex panicea, Typha minima and Eichorrnia crassipes - all are small and the latter can just be thinned as appropriate. The dead leaves of typha and carex are allowed to fall to the bottom of the tank, where they release humic acids which acidify the water a little and deter algae, as well as benefitting the utrics. If bullrushes or robust carex spp grow near you, collect some dead brown leaves, chop them up, boil them well and lay them on the top of the gravel base to deter algae (but this really is optional!).

Avoid flowering plants or regular pond ornamentals as accompaniments - there will not be enough nutrients in the water to support them and they won't generally flower. My water hyacinths are now very stunted!

Daphnia from a local petshop (sold as fish food) can be a quick-fix if algae starts to take hold. If algae really takes over the tank there is nothing to be done but start again with a whole new load of fresh water and with a cleaned utric. Again, leave the tank to settle before putting the plant back in. I use boiled rainwater.
    Rob Howe.

Homepage
    http://www.ukorchidforum.com
    CP growlist

Seeking: Drosera hilaris (seed)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    kingdom and phylum breakdown:
    kingdoms and what's in what
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gah! I already put the utric in! Stupid stupid STUPID! *slams his head into the wall and passes out* [15 minutes later] Egh... the utric got stained by that coffee kind of thing peat goes through when mixed with water, should I wash it off or what? x.x; Not even 24 hours and I already screwed up! *slams his head through the wall*
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to be on the safe side, take the utric out, rinse it, and just put in some water in a jar for a day or two while the tank clears properly. It will be fine for just 48 hours.
    Rob Howe.

Homepage
    http://www.ukorchidforum.com
    CP growlist

Seeking: Drosera hilaris (seed)

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast