User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should i be putting my vfts in the fridge now?

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll have divided opinion on this one. Personally, I would put it outside and let photoperiod and temps do their thing. I'm guessing you have an adult TC plant from a garden center? Two years ago I bought a trio of VFT's in August. I put them through a fridge dormancy and they rewarded me with a couple of flowers in the Spring.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jimscott, could you detail how you put them through fridge dormancy, like how wet you kept them, did you use fungicide on them, etc.?

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was one, convoluted process! I originally put them between the screen & storm window. But it wasn't cold enough for them and they were still growing. That and a bit of "greenhouse effect". Then I moved them to the screened in porch and we had a cold snap for several days. The soil froze, briefly. Then I had them in the butter keeper of our fridge, until February. Then I put them on the cold window sill of the lab, easing them back into warmer temps. I did nothing special to them, only what was annoying. I neither covered them, nor sprayed with fungicide. They were still "open tray" and kept barely wet. I think that by being open tray, in a fridge with a circulating fan was what kept them from molding. This past winter I put my VFT's & Sarrs in a plastic tub, open tray, in the fridge at the lab. One Sarr. died, but all else survived - only to be carried off in one of my stream experiments gone awry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12