What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should i be putting my vfts in the fridge now?

Should I wait until Halloween (which is what I've been told) or put my VFTs into dormancy now?

No, it's too early yet.

I would recommend November 1st until March 1st.

There's still plenty of light and warmth in September for growth and your plant will need to experience the diminishing light during October to know that it's time for dormancy.

I usually put all my dormants under the shelves in the greenhouse around thanksgiving, I then cover up any possible light that can get to them with shadecloth, also go lighter on water, this definately tells them its time to go to bed

I'm going to have to put them all in the fridge. Do you think that'll be ok?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ Sep. 19 2005,4:47)]I'm going to have to put them all in the fridge. Do you think that'll be ok?
depends..
when did you get them?
from where?
where have they been growing all summer?
what are your autumn temps like?

Scot

Mine are still growing like crazy but I have some early signs of dormancy like traps growing lower to the ground and turning some sweet reds and purples. Temps here in Western NY have been low 80's during the day and low 60's at night. Keep them up for a while more. I'm waiting until a couple frosts (hopefully not until November) and moving mine to the garage.

I just got some VFT's in a few days ago, would they need dormancy? I'm pretty sure they are clones of typicals and red dragons.

-Rail

You'll have divided opinion on this one. Personally, I would put it outside and let photoperiod and temps do their thing. I'm guessing you have an adult TC plant from a garden center? Two years ago I bought a trio of VFT's in August. I put them through a fridge dormancy and they rewarded me with a couple of flowers in the Spring.

Jimscott, could you detail how you put them through fridge dormancy, like how wet you kept them, did you use fungicide on them, etc.?

That was one, convoluted process! I originally put them between the screen & storm window. But it wasn't cold enough for them and they were still growing. That and a bit of "greenhouse effect". Then I moved them to the screened in porch and we had a cold snap for several days. The soil froze, briefly. Then I had them in the butter keeper of our fridge, until February. Then I put them on the cold window sill of the lab, easing them back into warmer temps. I did nothing special to them, only what was annoying. I neither covered them, nor sprayed with fungicide. They were still "open tray" and kept barely wet. I think that by being open tray, in a fridge with a circulating fan was what kept them from molding. This past winter I put my VFT's & Sarrs in a plastic tub, open tray, in the fridge at the lab. One Sarr. died, but all else survived - only to be carried off in one of my stream experiments gone awry.

Back