What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is this

i bought a vft last wensday and it is growing realy well and now there are two leaves not mouths that are growing and there is one small green steam like thing growing on each one and they curve in so what are they are they gonna be flours or just new mouths

one of the mouths reasently ate a masquito and i also fed one of them part of a small md french fry is that bad

and if there flowers what should i do if i dont want more venus fly traps and i want this one to live

First off: welcome to the forums

Second: Those sound like new leaves if there's two of them. pictures would help clarify.

Third: Mosquito=good McDonalds fry=bad

Fourth: If they are flower(s) then just cut the stalk off so that it doesn't grow. Flowers drain your plant of it's energy.

Fifth: Happy Growing

Zac

DO NOT PUT YOUR FINGER IN IT!!!

Your VFT will die if you make it close it's traps unneccesarily. Each trap can only close a few times before it dies. It would only sting if you left it in for so long that it started to digest your finger. But don't do it if you want it to live.

Zac

If you put some periods in your text it make it a heck of a lot easier for us to understand and to help you.

Read up on VFTs here: Carnivorous Plant FAQ

Remember - no tap water, only rainwater. Keep in a sunny position on a windowsill or greenhouse. Do not trigger the traps artificially. Do not feed human food or dead insects. The creature needs to be alive for the flytrap to eat it.

This is too good to pass up: Your VFT wanted fries with that? I hope you didn't super-size it!

as others have said dont feed anything but insetcts to your vft and dont give it hamburger or mcdonalds anything at all because that isnt good give it only rain or distilled or RO water no tap water no bottled water give it as much direct light as possible ideally it should be outside that might be difficult this time of year because its nearly winter where do you live that will be an important factor in where you should grow it and you will also need to be aware of winter dormancy requirements the most important thing right now is what part of the country do you live in and what kind of light are you giving it let us know that first light and where you live so we can help you give it ideal growing conditions oh never mind I looked at your profile and I see you live in Maine ok that might be a problem because your plant should be going dormant right now and you obviously cant put it outside because winter is nearly here so you will have to give it a lot of artificial light where did you get it maybe it wont need a winter dormancy this year if it makes it through the winter ok you should definately put it outside in the spring and leave it outside all spring summer and autumn then give it a proper winter dormancy next winter meanwhile you have all winter to learn lol good luck vfts are fun plants and very intereasting to grow but you did pick a bad tinme of year to get your first vft but still it should be ok but I wouldnt buy anymore until spring I would recommend getting the book the savage garden by peter D'Amato it will help you learn a lot of about CPs in general its an excellent book every CP grower should have it IMO

Back