What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New vft owner

i just bought a flytrap from walmart and replanted it in 50% perlite and 50% canadian spaghnum peat moss and it is 4 inches under 1-30w compact fluorescent bulb (cool white), my thing is that all the traps turned black after two days and looks as though the traps are dying. they were all green and very dark red in the center when they were at walmart. but now they look bad. will my plant eventually die under these conditions? any hope? thanks

by the way i watered it with distilled water no tap water.

I'd put it on a windowsill and see if it recovers.

You might have screwed yourself by repotting it. VFT's don't like ppl messing with their roots. The little pot it was in at Walmart was fine, so was the soil, I also bought one from Walmart and it is living fine under a 30w CF bulb so the only thing I can think of is you repotting it and messing with the roots to much.

-Rail

Don't keep the medium soggy all the time when growing it indoors. Let it get to cool moist before watering from below in a tray again. What kind of water are you giving it, anyway?

Back