What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fridge dormancy. wen?

Hi. I am wondering when I should put my North American species of CP's in my fridge. I think the dates were Thanksgiving to Valentines or something? Also, should I just cut off all the dead leaves and stick the plants in there after spraying with a sulfur based fungicide? Or was it a water based? I dont know could you plz help me out? Thanks!

You read correctly about the timeframe. Yes, cut off any dead plant material. Before putting the plants in the fridge, please acclimate them to temps in the 30's. I don't know where you live, but if it were me, I would keep them outside until the overnight lows are predicted to get below 30. they can take freezes, as long as it isn't too hard and too long.

I can't speak about fungicides, because I've never used them. But others, no doubt, will be able to instruct you. I have had succes by taking an already dormant plant and placing it, as is, in the fridge, watering it enought to make sure it doesn't dry out.

So if you did use a fungicide what kind would you use? Sulfur, water, or what? Also, I live in NJ so the temps should get down to 30's in about a month.

They sell Cleery 3336 here and it seems to be the best. A little packet will fill a 32 ounce sprayer 4 times. I keep mine potted and mist the plant and medium until moist; then baggie the whole pot and stick in fridge, cutting off all dead which I do all the time anyway.

Could I use a sulfur based or water based fungicide from a local metropalitan garden center or home depot?

I don't have much experience with sulphur based, but I assume that the other water based would be alright. It's just the inert ingredients you have to be careful with. I bought some combo insecto/fungicide from Wal-Mart with no ill affects and have used it twice this Summer.

I use the refrig method all the time. I have never had a problem with fungus when my plants are in the frig (as in killing them). I stick my vfts in after Thanksgiving and take them out the first week of March. Any mold or fungus you can just scrap it off with a spoon. I also leave my plants in thier pots.

Travis, do ya put a bag over the pot or do ya just stink the pot in the fridge?

No bag, just put in the refrig. I think putting a bag over the plant would cause it to rot.

smile.gif
Thanks Travis....
smile_m_32.gif

Apparently, Travis and I do it the same way. And I thought I was being unique!
biggrin.gif

Back