Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fridge dormancy. wen?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi. I am wondering when I should put my North American species of CP's in my fridge. I think the dates were Thanksgiving to Valentines or something? Also, should I just cut off all the dead leaves and stick the plants in there after spraying with a sulfur based fungicide? Or was it a water based? I dont know could you plz help me out? Thanks!

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You read correctly about the timeframe. Yes, cut off any dead plant material. Before putting the plants in the fridge, please acclimate them to temps in the 30's. I don't know where you live, but if it were me, I would keep them outside until the overnight lows are predicted to get below 30. they can take freezes, as long as it isn't too hard and too long.

I can't speak about fungicides, because I've never used them. But others, no doubt, will be able to instruct you. I have had succes by taking an already dormant plant and placing it, as is, in the fridge, watering it enought to make sure it doesn't dry out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So if you did use a fungicide what kind would you use? Sulfur, water, or what? Also, I live in NJ so the temps should get down to 30's in about a month.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They sell Cleery 3336 here and it seems to be the best. A little packet will fill a 32 ounce sprayer 4 times. I keep mine potted and mist the plant and medium until moist; then baggie the whole pot and stick in fridge, cutting off all dead which I do all the time anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could I use a sulfur based or water based fungicide from a local metropalitan garden center or home depot?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have much experience with sulphur based, but I assume that the other water based would be alright. It's just the inert ingredients you have to be careful with. I bought some combo insecto/fungicide from Wal-Mart with no ill affects and have used it twice this Summer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the refrig method all the time. I have never had a problem with fungus when my plants are in the frig (as in killing them). I stick my vfts in after Thanksgiving and take them out the first week of March. Any mold or fungus you can just scrap it off with a spoon. I also leave my plants in thier pots.
    \"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.\"
    -- Oscar Wilde

http://www.nasarracenia.org/

Norhtern Michigan Dragway Mama *Barracuda_45*'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Travis, do ya put a bag over the pot or do ya just stink the pot in the fridge?
    Hey buddy wana run, LETS GO!
    Northern Michigan All Car Drag Team *PRESIDENT*
    Red Hot Cherry's "NEW" PB 8.741 GO CHERRY! & "5" 1st place trophy wins 9 sec class.
    www.nmacdt.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast