User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hello everyone! new here and a few q's.

Norhtern Michigan Dragway Mama *Barracuda_45*'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you jimscott for the help, i hate to be a royal pain in the **** and keep asking all these Q's but do i put them back under the lights after the repoting or do i let them go without light for few days do to the stress of repoting? I know with some of my regular house plants after repoting i keep them away from high light for few days while they take hold, i have tons house plants. Thanks once again for all your help its truely and greatly apreciated.. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    Hey buddy wana run, LETS GO!
    Northern Michigan All Car Drag Team *PRESIDENT*
    Red Hot Cherry's "NEW" PB 8.741 GO CHERRY! & "5" 1st place trophy wins 9 sec class.
    www.nmacdt.com

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're not a pain! Man, you shoulda seen my first questions: "What's a PM?" "What's a SASE?" "What's an avatar?" Not only did I not know CP's, I was a functional illiterate with pc's. I had a 15 year old boy take me step by step to upload and bring to forums my crappy pictures and an 18 year old girl showed me how to put quotes around PM's and a 14 year old boy to put a URL in the address bar and.... Believe me, I know a pain... and that is me!

Anyways.... you bring up a good point about keeping stressed plants out of the bright light at first. This is a judgement call. I generally do this and prescribe the same when plants are shipped to whomever and vice-versa, as well as anything I bought from Home Depot or Lowes. I think it depends upon just how stressed a given plant is at the time of repotting. But if you are moving a plant as one unit, without disturbing the roots or giving them a major change in temperature and/or humidity, I think you can keep them back at the lighting they had. In other words, if you haven't stressed them out significantly by repotting, and/or they weren't in bad shape to begin with, they can probably withstsand the minor jostling just fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW!!! You sure must being doing things right--nice looking plants! I am in complete agreement to change the soil. That trumps the issues of dormancy/no dormancy in my mind. I would repot and let them grow perhaps another month. Then let them go dormannt until about the beginning of March--three months should suffice I think, and the plants do not look stressed even now. You probably flushed a lot of the nasty stuff out, but you are on the right track. Good job doing your homework. Even though opinions may vary slightly here, most of us have years growing experience: Jimscott has nice plants--I've seen them myself!! I've 'heard' that Alexis (Alvin Meister) has nice plants, but I haven't been able to travel across the pond to see them. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]
    My chicken legs taste like chicken--only less meaty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They look like they are in full growth and you may be able to get away without a dormancy. I would let them grow and see what they look like in January. If they start to look tired by then, you can give them dormancy Jan, Feb and March.

With repotting you can either dig them out with a spoon, rinse the roots and repot. It's a bit like diffusing a bomb when they're in full growth.

Alternatively, you can be a bit rough with them. Tip them out of the pots, dunk the whol plant in water and wash off the old peat (all the traps will close) and then repot as with any other plant. It's easier with all the traps shut and they'll reopen in a couple of days.

P.S. Thanks for the compliment about my VFTs [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] They're looking a bit scruffy at the moment as they get ready for dormancy at the moment!

Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] Thank you sooooooo much jimscott, JBL and Alvin Meister, you have all been so kind and helpful i so greatly apreciate it... I will go ahead and carefully repot/transplant them into one size pot bigger and with my poting mix the Canadian sphagnum peat& Perlite plus the choped up/cut up real fine schultz green moss and make sure they are waterd well and put them back into the little terrarium with one light on for a day or 2 to make sure they are ok after transplanting them then use both lights. I hope it all goes well and they do ok i surely dont want to hurt my tiny VFT's. The pots there in now are 2 inch size i will see if i have some pots that are just slightly larger. I will go ahead and let them grow till between Dec. and Jan. then post pics of them again and you all can tell me if they should go thru a dormancy by then. That one in the middle my friend brung over has me really worried i will snap some better close up pics of it tomarrow so you can see it better. The one on the far left with the biggest traps has a tiny tiny baby plant with traps growing out next to it, should i keep those 2 together since its growing so close to the other larger VFT?? I have never seen a VFT that tiny in my life its way to cute i will see if i can get a close up of that as well befour i repot/transplant i dont know if my cheesy dig cam can get that close.. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]
    Once again thank you!!!! I am one happy lady knowing you are all here to help me when i need it.. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img] Oh and by the way with the traps closing durring me repoting will that hurt them at all cause im one that dont like to make the traps close unless its when they eat. And do i not feed them anymore till i know for sure if they need to go dormant? This is going on the third wk since i have had them and each pot/plant has ate 3 flies, my friends has had one fly from what she stated. Any input on that??
    Red Hot Cherry's "NEW" PB 8.741 GO CHERRY! & "5" 1st place trophy wins 9 sec class.
    www.nmacdt.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Barracuda, welcome to the forums!

Looks like you got a lot of great help from the guys here. Very nice looking plants and keep up the good work [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the warm welcome LLeopardGGecko and the complament on my VFT babies. Although i cant say much for my girlfriends VFT she brung over we got ours at the same time and mine are doing great compared to hers, this poor little VFT i dont know if its gona make it [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img] I dont know if her kids did something to it or what. But i took it outa its little pot tonight and cleaned the cruddy potting mix away from its roots and bulb, the bulb was very white but the roots looked rotted, i trimed the dead and dying traps off and washed it carefully under distilled water then carefully planted it in my moistend/not soggy potting mix and put alittle moss around the top under the only leafs left and am praying it makes it, poor little VFT.. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img] Heres a pic of it befour i repoted it, i really hope it pulls thru. You will also see the big diffrence in the growth on hers compared to how big and strong the growth is on mine.

Ok now heres the one that has the tiny tiny baby growing up close to the other larger plant i put a arrow showing the baby plant and then orangeish markings on the new growth from the bigger plant. Should i keep the baby VFT in with the larger one when transplanting to a new pot?? It is so tiny and delicate..

It even has a trap laying inside another trap.. LOL!!
    Here it is under alittle better lighting.

Do you all think i should wait till the new traps on the plants are completed and open befour i repot? As all 4 of my plants have new traps growing.
    www.nmacdt.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It shouldn't really matter. Look at it this way: If you wait for the new traps to open up, more new ones will be on the way by that time. I say just repot them now.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast